The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Overdrive out??

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    sethph69

Overdrive out??

I have a 95 galant and whenever i turn on the overdrive and get up to speed, it sound like it shifts down instead of up into overdrive causeing me to drive with it off. Is this a transmission or an electrical problem?

try driving with it off, when u get up to like 65 turn it on, ur car is supposed to drop into OD, if it doesnt then get a diagnosis on ur tranny computer

HiperSilver
    well if your tranny was going, first reverse would go, then 4th, then so on

no, not true, when my tranny went, i lost 1st and was launching in 2nd, and then i lost 4th, i always had reverse

if you lost ONLY 4th gear, chances are you have a very common failure on those trannies. The failure is a blown end clutch, and its a issue that dates back to 89.

the good news? if it IS an end clutch, you can have that serviced without a total trans overhaul. in fact, you can fix it without even removing the transaxle.
    new clutch runs about 200 bucks, and it takes less than 2 hours to install.

i also suggest changing the fluid and filter when you have it done, but thats up to you.

of course, you should first have it checked out by someone that knows amitsu trannies. BUT.. if indeed you have only lost 4th gear, DONT let anyone tell you that you need an overhaul, because there is a 99 percent chance that you dont.

dre24k
    with tranny blown I still had overdrive and reverse

with overdrive lit that was the only way it would drive forward...but very slowly til it picked up speed..had trouble pulling

Kain
    Hmm, sounds more like your driving style. When you say "get up to speed" is that full throttle acceleration? if so, than the down shift is normal. The computer thinks you want to "pass" and is downshifting into third for the boost of speed you'd need to pass someone. If it does not shift up when you back off the throttle than there is a problem. OD is cruising gear, it's main purpose is high speed driving (over 80 mph) and better fuel economy at lower speeds (50-80) Of course it could just be a bad solenoid which costs about $80, is a breeze to install and Fords need a new one every other year or so. Of course, your car knows best of all. Take it to a shop and have them run a scanner on it. That'll tell you all you need to know.

its a FAILED END CLUTCH!

jeez.

ive only replaced about a half million of them..

G-Lant
    not a big problem. I had this in my car and I believe that your cylnoid for OD has gone out. they supposed to be change around 90,000 or so. hopefully that your prob and it isn't your tranny

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G-Lant)</div><div class='quotemain'>not a big problem. I had this in my car and I believe that your cylnoid for OD has gone out. they supposed to be change around 90,000 or so. hopefully that your prob and it isn't your tranny</div>

there is no solenoid for overdrive.
    theres nothing to be changed at 90000 miles.

its the END CLUTCH, and it can be fixed relatively cheaply.

Experienced TGC Member
    You know what? I bet it's the end clutch.... LOL

When are you guys gonna learn that if manybrews says it's the end clutch.. it's most likely the end clutch.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>You know what? Â*I bet it's the end clutch.... LOL Â* Â*

When are you guys gonna learn that if manybrews says it's the end clutch.. it's most likely the end clutch. Â*</div>
    heh.