The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g74 TB swap help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 53
    Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

So I played with the screw, and tightened the couplers of the intake and it doesn't wants to stall anymore, feels really good.

And I bought a OBD II bluetooth adapter to use with Torque app, I can read the speed and temps and fault codes, but RPM appears to be off by 100rpms from the cluster and the Throttle Position reading stays at 0% at idle and moves only when i get on the gas pedal, so it isn't reading it correctly so I need another scanner to adjust the tps %.

Feels really good except for the rising RPMS but no actual acceleration. I think it only happens at 1st gear.
    there a point when stepping steadily on the gas pedal that the rpms are increasing really fast but the car isn't accelerating or going faster, I step on the gas a little more and then it pulls and accelerates.

4g64T 5spd

I'm not sure if u will need new iac for the swap just check part numbers on a mitsu parts page, but. Also I had my stock iac lose som wires to age and while temps were hot my car ran when backing off he screw, but the second fall/winter hit my car would stall a lot and on turns so I eventually found the broken wires and made a harness. Long story short check iac.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Got a tactrix 2.0 and evoscan, Throttle Position is 12.5% idle is at 718 Rpms, the car still wants to stall when the ac is on, I'll try tomorrow to clean the IAC with the appropriate electronics cleaner and will try to adjust the TPS to 13.33 or 14.1 as Isaurio suggested.

4g64T 5spd

Also open up the idle screw a bit. U will see idle will increase after 14 min idle it will adjust it self. The 74 is a v6 more air coming in, the idle screw is adjusted by mitsu for v6. U put the 74 to 4 banger not a lot of air been pull. So you need to open up the idle screw to compensate for the missing 2 cylinder.

If you have the stock tb. DO NOT MESS WITH THE IDLE SCREW. This only works with guys that are doing the 74 tb swap.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 07-06-2012 at 10:31 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Cleaned the IAC, and I'm logging right now:

Idle AC [off]....... TPS is at 12.15% and Rpms are between 781 and 812.

Idle AC [on] ........TPS is @ 12.15% and Rpms are between 687 and 718. Periodically it goes to 812 and sounds really smooth then goes back to 718.

Disconnected the batt to the cleaning so I don't know if I should wait a little before adjusting the TPS or the idle screw.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 07-10-2012 at 05:10 PM

4g64T 5spd

You will have no change bro. You can not just swap a tb from a another car and expect to work smooth. Automotive engineers makes every parts specially the fuel to air parts down to the money. It works with the pcm at all times, its call check and balance. The TB got the v6 configuration and the PCM got the 4 banger configuration. You do the Math and see what happens.

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    You will have no change bro. You can not just swap a tb from a another car and expect to work smooth. Automotive engineers makes every parts specially the fuel to air parts down to the money. It works with the pcm at all times, its call check and balance. The TB got the v6 configuration and the PCM got the 4 banger configuration. You do the Math and see what happens.
    Remember all I'm trying fix is the issue that it wants to stall when the AC is on, tomorrow I'll adjust the TPS to 13.3% and that should fix my problem, or do i just need a tune?

4g64T 5spd

It should help the problem. You have to play with it.

SOHC Turbo

Switched my 6g74 tb with another one I bought, adjusted the TPS to ~13.33% disconnected the battery and let it idle and its doing this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWA4v...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 07-24-2012 at 05:29 PM

4g64T 5spd

My v6 freaked out just like that before it worked itself out before I even got a chance to check it out, put some mileage on the car now that you've reset the PCM.

Ooh and don't you owe me some pics???

That also look like a vacuum leak. What intake mani u using. Check the gasket make sure u did not put it backwards.

SOHC Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    My v6 freaked out just like that before it worked itself out before I even got a chance to check it out, put some mileage on the car now that you've reset the PCM.

Ooh and don't you owe me some pics???
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    That also look like a vacuum leak. What intake mani u using. Check the gasket make sure u did not put it backwards.
    Went outside to check it out again started the car and everything seems ok, I know the gasket is tricky but I got it right.

And I'll post a pic now

4g64T 5spd

So it's ideling fine now?

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    So it's ideling fine now?
    It was idling fine and not doing what it was doing in the vid I'll try again tomorrow.

4g64T 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    I finally did the swap last night. After adjusting the idle a couple times, it still isn't perfect but it's better than what it was. My TPS % is at 7, timing advance is at 10 degrees (thought it was supposed to be at 12), LTFT 0%, STFT -1%. It idles somewhat smooth but bogs at low speeds. Upper RPM range is smooth.
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

In my case, im still fighting with fluctuating idle as in the video i posted some time ago, but it only happens when the ac is off, I idle at1000 rpm hight i know, but when the car is at normal temp it does it. Don't know what else to do.

4g64T 5spd

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    My idle fluctuates as well but its not as noticeable. Just don't know why it bogs at low speeds. 2k rpm in the first few gears it bogs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    My idle fluctuates as well but its not as noticeable. Just don't know why it bogs at low speeds. 2k rpm in the first few gears it bogs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Tps % are wrong, needs to be at 13.333% not 7%. And vacuum line on top of the tb needs to be cross.

If you look at the 64 tb and diamante tb u will notice the vacuum ports are on a different side making the suction come out in a different port.

SOHC Turbo

I didn't know about those lines, Wow just found your pic doing research for the IM swap

4g64T 5spd

Update:

So I've been driving the car around with what I think is a cracked IM since I can hear a hissing around the back of the manifold, the car idles pretty smooth at 1000 rpms with the idle screw closed all the way, I know its horrible and mpgs are worse.

So yesterday I saw this pic:

And said damn all this time and nobody had mentioned that we needed to cross the lines when swapping the 6g74 tb (I found out not looking for it, and on the tb swap thread nobody says anything or I didn't see it), so I go out and switch them and now it's like misfiring and idling really rough. I can't be sure to me this means that when crossed they are correct but since I have a cracked manny then its idles like that.

So I am gonna leave them un crossed since its driveable and the engine doesn't sound as bad, and then swap them at the same time I do my IM.

Looks blurry as f*ck but you get the idea

Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 10-06-2012 at 04:26 PM

4g64T 5spd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast