The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Tow Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Rear Tow Hitch

Trying put on rear tow hitch on the 7g everyone I know who has u
    On there cars bolt right on but i dnt c how I can on our 7g an can't find videos on YouTube any ideas?

I have an 8g trying the same thing
    Only solution I got was install some bracket to the bumper support and have the hook just for show

There is a 1.25" receiver hitch made especially to fit the 7g. It is a straight bolt on deal. Check with U-haul. BTW, you have to cut out a small section of the rear bumper cover for where the receive tube protrudes from under the car.
    Last edited by eksz; 03-08-2012 at 11:27 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Its callwd bike rack

Warren I haz no bike rack money and I'm talking about a tow hitch not a trailer hit h 2 different things.....

Naw go to the junkyard and looj for a 2g with one and .It bolt up right behind the mufler

I have a tow hitch in my car mitsubishi galant 97 ES. I brought from the the junk yard in california my hitch belong from dodge Avenger and this hitch fit with no modification in my car, the last year alreADY USED from California to Texas and no problems. Only you need remove the alumininum from the exhaust and 4 bolts keep the bumper absorber and replace again when you install the hitch, I hope Understand my english.

And the cost for the hitch was $ 20.00 dollars.

K I'm getting that no one understanding me a trailer hitch isn't the same thing as a tow hitch

This a TOW HITCH

A tow hitch/trailer hitch are one in the same and you received some good info from those that replied above. If I understand the picture correctly you are looking for a tie down point, tow point or tow hook. It probably needs to be custom fabricated or the cheap and quick way is to use a short chain, remove the 2 bottom bolts that hold bumper reinforcement to frame then insert bolts through chain link and reattach bolts creating a loop.
    Last edited by w/oarctic7g; 03-10-2012 at 12:13 PM

So that's what you want. LOL! By all means go for it.

Once pranked one of my friends with a hatchback with one of those. He made the mistake of backing up into a parking spot at an In-N-Out. In the landscaping behind him was a pretty thick tree, (we just couldn't resist) so we chained his car from the hook to the tree and took off (LMAO!), he wasn't too upset but did have to wait about 30 mins for us to finally tell him the keys to the lock were under his car. LOL!!

^lol yea it's for the galant picking up a 7g and going to strip it and turn it into a drap car full 4g64 swap awd etc.. And I'm not saying that there info isn't good just not what I wanted and ^we call it a toe hook or hitch and I have 2 on my 240 easy to install but the galant in the rear dosnt have a place to put one an I really dnt want to cut the bumper and weld...... But looks like that's what ima have to do

Justin, I get it now. For the rear tie down you can use either set of 2 bolts that hold the bumper supports/absorber to bolt it to your car. THose bolts are the same location that a reagular trailer hitch gets bolted to. It is handy to have easy access to tie down points. If our cars had been made overseas (instead of Normal IL) and shipped here they'd already have them. When I get home I''ll post a picture of another tie down system that works well for transporting a car on a flat bed. It consists of a wheel chock with a ratchet on it. You secure one end of a strap to the chcok. Then run the strap over the the tire and into the ratchet. Crank down on the ratchet and the car is going nowhere.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Thanks not just for a tie down but easy to tow my car if broke down on the strip.... Can u take pics where this bolts are located to plz :-) thanks :-)

drag cars get towed from the front if they break down on the track and if they crash bad enough they get thrown on the flat bed so you can probaly save yourself the headache other wise your gonna have to custom fab one to attach to the crash bar mounting points or find a good place to weld one on.

I've had to pull my 7g up on a flat bed a couple of times over the years. If pulling it on from the front I just run a couple of straps over the center member (crossbar) that supports the front motor mount. I run the straps so they go behind the motor mount. I'll get you pictures of where the trailer hitch mounts so you can at least have the rear tie down point installed as a bolt in. If I was going to do a bolt in on the front I'd probably have to have something made I could bolt up to the two front bolts of the center member or to the lower control arms stays (page 8-12, item #4, Chilton manual 50450, Mitsubushi Galant/Mirage/Diamante). When I say have something made I think it would be a flat plat e with holes drilled to fit whichever mounting bolt location I choose to use with a ring attached to it.
    jjj

I have a front tow hitch already Im
    Putting a rear on for tie down and towing... My choice on what I'm doing I'm just asking how to.... And thanks looking forward to c the pics... Thanks again

dont take me the wrong way, iam trying help,,, your gonna need 4 proper tie down points on your 7g if your gonna be transporting it to the track frequently and a tow hook isnt one of them. if your just hauling from point A to point B for what ever reason and you do it once or twice just make sure you drive very careful and not fast cause you could lose your load.

on my car i have two universal 45* tie downs i bought from Rennline (track parts for porsches) and i attached them to were the control arms connect to the rear sub-frame and i faced them to the tie down point on the trailer opposite of the car so i cross my rachet straps. for the front i dont cross the straps just run them straight from the control arm using a J hook and then tie off and rachet it down. on the 8g the front control has a nice size hole in for the j hook im guessing the 7g is the same, if not there loop straps you run through you wheel.

for the rear tow hook im fabricating one myself that im gonna attach to the crash bar attachment bolts on the frame rail, its not done put i have drawing i can scan in to show you what its gonna look like. its the only way i can see to attach on to the car with out having to weld one on.

i do hpde/roadracing with NASA so it has to be functional and be strong enough for the emergency vehicle to pull the car out of sand trap or whatever if i go off track and those guys wouldnt be to happy if it snapped off cause someone can get hurt so im not actually gonna suggest you do it like this since i havent tested out yet but once i do ill let you know but it wont be for a while.

ill post some pics and links in a lil bit

I'm not hating or getting mad at ur advise it's just less weight for me... I dnt wanta do Autocross or anything just using for drag strip.... Thanks for Ur input... Doing with what I have it was free so and it's light weight so I'm using it rated then strap a j hooh on my control arms an risking damaging them....

heres my setup, i installed a tow eye on each side of the sub-frame where the control arms bolt to, its closest i could get to the outside of the car.

its kinda hard to see but let your eyes follow the strap all the way to the sub- frame and you should see them. these are the tie downs i used.

http://www.rennline.com/Tie-Downs/products/655/

there at a 45* angle and i faced them towards the the tie down points on the trailer.

my front control arms wont get damaged from the j hooks or the tension from the straps. there stamped steel and reinforced well but i think the 7g's are completely different but regardless you should find the best and proper way to secure them to the trailer.

you might want to consider loop straps that go through you front wheels. heres a link to a site where i get my straps from and they have a short video on tie- downs 101, it helped me out alot,,,, youll have to scroll down till you see tie-downs 101

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/tricks

and heres my design for the rear tow hook, you might have to enlarge it but if you look close i have two spacers 1 1/4" tall and then i would put the actual tow hook under the spacer and bolt it to crash bar. the actual tow eye will reach past the bumper cover through a hole ill make in the cover.

the reason for the spacers is because theres a lip on the frame rail that wont allow it to sit flush so i have to space it out in order to clear that but i dont feel confident using longer bolts and putting that kind of force on them like being pulled out of a sand trap, ditch or what ever. but i thought of a way today that would allow it to sit flush to frame rail and eliminate any need for spacers, i would just need a big piece of angle iron. ill draw it up tonight and scan it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast