The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear Tow Hitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    heres the one in the design above that i started work on but couldnt finish because my angle grinder burnt out.

here i have it all marked out and drilled my pilot holes, then used the a 2" holesaw to start cutting the hole for the tow eye, i have to go easy and give my cordless drill break because this 1/4 plate steel will kill it if i go all out

pics from in between breaks

during one of the breaks i took a silcone coupler that had a 3" O.D. same width of the plate steel and used it as template on the end of the hook for a nice round edge to match the eye. i started cutting away with the angle grinder but then it burnt up so this project is on hold lol.

This picture is from the install instruction for the trailer hitch. It is much clearer than the pcitures I took under the car. Any place where the hitch mounting bolts go, you could hook up your tie down bracket.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

so if theres weld nut there then how does the crash bar fasten to the frame rails? on the 8g im 99% sure the bolt goes through the frame rail and fastens the crash bar

I can assure there are weld nuts in there as I have had trailer hitches on two of my 7g and that is how they bolt up. I can't remember how the rear crash bar attach to the car as it has been a long time since I parted one of these out.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

ok so heres my other idea for tow hitch that will sit flush against the frame rail,, hopefully it
    makes sense,,

the solid lines are whats to be cut out of the 1/4" thick 3 x 5 angle iron, the dashed lines
    represent the hole piece before its cut.

To increase strength I'd shorten the length from 12" in fact, I'd just make a hole right below where the angle iron bolts to the car. It would be harder to reach the tie down but it would definitely be stronger.
    jjj

yea your probaly right but with it being tucked so far when you snap in the tow strap theres a real big chance of the bumper cover being damaged from the strap. 1/4'' steel is know no joke but i guess it wouldnt hurt stepping up the gauge. i guess i could consult witha few fab shops to see if they would give up an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12