The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G VR4 Detail job - The results

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

8G VR4 Detail job - The results

Last weekend I've detailed the 8G VR4 of a Dutch forum member. Back to black was our mission. This VR4 is 15 years old and 2 years ago imported from Japan.

To remove sand and other dirt we started with a foambath.

Step 2: washing the Galant and cleaning the rims followed by a Clay treatment (to remove surface contaminants).

Claying in progress

Even after the clay treatment the paint was stil dirty. Possibly because of an old wax layer used during tranport from Japan to Europe. Check this picture to see what i mean:

To remove this dirt and the small scrathes caused by washing the car whe polished the car in 3 sessions:
    - flat surfaces - heavy with Rotary and Meguiars M83
    - All surfaces - medium whith Rotary and Meguiars M80
    - All surfaces - light with Eccentric machine (Dual Action Polisher) and Monello Finale

Result during use of the Rotary (check the line in the middle of the trunk):

The DAP in action:

After 8 hours of hard labour and applying the final wax layer (Meguiars M16) we could finally check the results.....

All scratches, dirt and other paint imperfections have been removed. 15 years old, butt looking (almost) new.

I love it!
    Last edited by CvWNL; 03-13-2012 at 07:27 AM

Very nice, especially on an older black car, that paint catches hell sometimes and develops the nasty black paint cancer we're all familiar with. Good stuff!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Keeping black paint clean is NOT easy by any means.

Excellent detail job, I bet the owner was ecstatic afterwards. :)

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Excellent detail job, I bet the owner was ecstatic afterwards. :)
    Thanks! And yes, even 2 days after the detailjob he's still smiling.
    He's on the pictures, claying and working with the DAP. I introduced him in the world of detailing and instructed him during the job.

I kept the handling and use of the rotary to myself. Too much risk if you're not familiar with that machine.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    that is great work nothing like a black car getting a second life when it shines like that.

before my car got the cancer, i use to take it to a professional and they did beautiful work just like that, i use to smile for days when my black car looked that like. the only thing about this process is all the cutting done to remove the scratches since it does remove a bit of the clear coat layer. Living in NYC it always ended up getting dirty quick.

Correct, we removed about 2-3 micron of the paint (clear coat) layer with this treatment. A normal paint layer should be about 120-140 micron. Problem is that you don't know how thick the color paint is, and how much clear coat is on top of that layer. Only the total thickness can be measured with a coating-thickness-meter.