The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Correct head gasket on Evo8 head 2.4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

Correct head gasket on Evo8 head 2.4?

Hey as you can see im having alittle trouble with this head gasket on the car. I was using a 87mm Cometic head gasket for the evo. While the car was being tuned alot of smoking started coming from the exhaust after afew pulls. I took the head off and noticed the head gasket was messed up around the piston bore. Now I have fire rings installed on the block and I guess it didnt go well with the gasket? Ive searched and found that when the head is torqued down the head gasket actually ends up going into the combustion chamber. I seen that Race engineering has the correct head gasket for this set up that is a 051". My question is will this still mess up with the fire rings on the block? If so what head gasket should I go with. Some people say OEM 2.4 but that gasket isnt even steel,correct?

As always thanks guys

Felpro MLS

Part Number 26172PT I found it on rockauto cheapest. This is the same head gasket I am going to use on my build

yup cometics have been know to fail lately, i would say go with AMS modifeid OEM EVO 8 head gasket but apparently ive read on Evom that they wont sell anybody the head gasket without purchasing their short block which i think is pretty ridiculous, i wouldnt expect a shop like AMS to that but its worth giving a call your self.

also AWD sells the modified OEM head gasket also so thats another option but as of late modified OEM is the way to go.

.....and wow you have o-ringed block!!! how much boost are you planning on running when its all said and done??

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    Felpro MLS

Part Number 26172PT I found it on rockauto cheapest. This is the same head gasket I am going to use on my build
    which head gasket is that part number for?

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    which head gasket is that part number for?
    4g64

Check out that head gasket I was asking about on race engineering. I think that's an MLS head gasket. I think that one might be the way to go. I'm going to go mostly low boost for reliability but who knows when I tune with the racing gas ;)

all the head gaskets i saw listed on race engineerings site are all Cometic, if it were me i would buy a modified oem gasket and nothing less. its proven to hold high boost and a simple search on Evom wil convince you.

the felpro route ehh, i wouldnt feel comfortable enough to pair it with a $4,000.00 long block. i dont know how much about them or how much they cost but f there less them a mdified oem i would ather pay the fare and get proven one.

and i dont think race gas and low boost have ever been used in the same sentence lol!

im looking forward to the end result thought ive been following your build for long time.

I said who knows when I use race race meaning when I turn up the boost lmao!

Ugh i guess ill just cancel my order then

my bad

Well since the 64 block is flipped and not mirrored for the 8g then theres a good chance that the 94GS dohc gasket will fit. Its about 40 bucks on jnz
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    my bad
    Lol all good bro

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Well since the 64 block is flipped and not mirrored for the 8g then theres a good chance that the 94GS dohc gasket will fit. Its about 40 bucks on jnz

Ill look into that

Okay guys I think I found the correct head gasket for the 2.4 evo8 head set up. Go to awdmotorsports.com and go to evo 8 9 then click engine. Just scroll down and you will see the gasket for $170. It's a modified oem head gasket with a 87mm bore. It's the same exact head gasket that AMS won't sell without the purchase of there motor. Thought this might help you guys out. Once it comes in and I install it I will let everyone know how it works out.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Damn I just typed a long ass reply to this and it didnt upload.....

sigh... hear it goes again.....

So here is the deal with the head gaskets available for the swap.

Cometic gasket- The old old ones were good, when I say old old, I'm talking ones manufactured prior to 2008. Im not sure what they did after that, but they changed something and then the gaskets were hit or miss. I have an old old one and mine is fine so far, had it up to 25psi on C16 with about 13 degrees of timing making 500+whp on back to back dyno pulls, about 15 pulls in 2 hours, no issues. In late 2009 or early 2010 they came out with their Fuzion head gasket or something like that, that new one is supposed to be good. Supposed to be...

Modified OEM EVO gasket - AMS sells them, AWD motorsports sells them and I think Buschure sells them. They work well.

Power Enterprise gasket - This is the best one your money can buy. Its super solid, no reported failures on EVOM. The guys at MAPerformance and English Racing swear by this gasket and frankly, those guys are building more 4G64 powered cars than anyone else right now, so I trust them.

If I remember correctly, I think Goosey is using a cometic gasket as well, with no issues. I think alot of it has to do with end user error and poor surface prep. If the head surface is not cleanly decked to the recommended RA finish, it wont seal right, if the torque specs or sequence isnt spot on, it wont seal right. There are alot of variables. A big variable is also tuning. We all know everyone on evom is a "tuner" and when their head gasket blows up its all of the sudden the manufacturers fault. Knock also kills head gaskets. If you run too much timing, you will blow it, not just cometic, any gasket. Alot of guys think that cylinder pressure is greatly effected by boost level but it is more effected by timing. A car running 20psi and 18 degrees of timing is more likely to pop a gasket than a car running 27psi and 13 degrees of timing. The increased timing is what leaves the highest chance of knock. Thats why you see guys make crackhead power on pump gas and not blow up. They are running 28psi on pump gas, but they never announce that they are only running 9 degrees of timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    Okay guys I think I found the correct head gasket for the 2.4 evo8 head set up. Go to awdmotorsports.com and go to evo 8 9 then click engine. Just scroll down and you will see the gasket for $170. It's a modified oem head gasket with a 87mm bore. It's the same exact head gasket that AMS won't sell without the purchase of there motor. Thought this might help you guys out. Once it comes in and I install it I will let everyone know how it works out.
    If you popped the cometic gasket, good chance that the head will need to me re-decked. Alot of times when you blow the gasket, the head will slightly warp and will need to be machined again. Make sure that is all checked out before you throw another gasket in there. Also check the block to make sure it isnt scored/scratched in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

As always thank you for all the information Brian. I'll make sure I know exactly how much timing they are putting on the car during the next dyno attempt. I'm running 10:1 on the galant so the knocking could be and issue on only running 93. I was going to bring the head back to the machine shop no matter what. I wanna try and keep this from happening yet again. Awd motor sports uses this gasket on all of there 4g64 builds and sware upon it aswell so I'm going to try it out and see how it goes. They are very fond of building a lot of these set ups along with the 10:1 ratio.

Check the top of the block for scratches?

^ correct, any foreign mark in a ra finish can and will mess up the gaskets sealing capabilities. You already got the head off why not take a couple minds and check the heads mating surface for imperfections. Hopefully you find none

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

did anyone looked at the 4g69. Is a factory 4g64 already 87mm bore. 4g69 OEM head gasket should fit like a glove. But again i think the coolant passage is different. is good to look at that.

Gtorque. Your block is .020 over right? making it 87mm?
    Last edited by Isaurio; 03-26-2012 at 01:12 AM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

am I missing something? whats wrong with the factory gasket?
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

I believe hes .20 over, factory 4g64 is too small.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

im at 88mm and mine is working fine
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast