The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Correct head gasket on Evo8 head 2.4?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 30 of 30
    really. how much boost. If you using the stock gasket. running to high boost will cause problems.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

10psi making 350whp on the stock gasket and arp studs. there are eclipse guys making the same or more on the stock gasket. like what was said earlier its all in the prep of the head and block
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The stock gasket will fail with repeated abuse. The DSM's came stock with a composite head gasket just like the 4G64 but they dont go the distance in terms of longevity and power. You can make 350whp on it fine as long as the tune is solid and safe, but the question is how long. The composite gasket also tends to deform more with higher torque loads. I know most guys using L19 head studs are torquing them down to at least 95lb-ft regardless of what ARP recommends. Try doing that with a composite gasket, the results wont be good. The other issue is knock resistance. You may be able to have a few counts of knock here and there while tuning the car closer to the edge, a composite gasket wont like that at all. Typically they fail at the coolant passages and the car will start to push coolant, ask any 7-bolt DSM owner and they will confirm it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    10psi making 350whp on the stock gasket and arp studs. there are eclipse guys making the same or more on the stock gasket. like what was said earlier its all in the prep of the head and block
    In addition to this, Goosey's car was making 300ish whp running 15-18psi on a EVO turbo, using a junkyard 4G64 motor with 130k miles, using a stock head gasket and stock head bolts, im pretty sure he got the better part of about 30k miles or more out of that setup. The key here is his car was never pushed too far tune wise. It was pretty conservative on timing and a little on the rich side for AFR, it was SAFE.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The stock gasket will fail with repeated abuse. The DSM's came stock with a composite head gasket just like the 4G64 but they dont go the distance in terms of longevity and power. You can make 350whp on it fine as long as the tune is solid and safe, but the question is how long. The composite gasket also tends to deform more with higher torque loads. I know most guys using L19 head studs are torquing them down to at least 95lb-ft regardless of what ARP recommends. Try doing that with a composite gasket, the results wont be good. The other issue is knock resistance. You may be able to have a few counts of knock here and there while tuning the car closer to the edge, a composite gasket wont like that at all. Typically they fail at the coolant passages and the car will start to push coolant, ask any 7-bolt DSM owner and they will confirm it.
    Not sure if you know there is a MLS gasket available for the 4g64 its a permatorque by felpro

wait i thought the stock head gaskets were multi layered steel?

Last edited by underated; 03-27-2012 at 12:08 AM
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

The stock EVO head gasket is MLS, the STOCK OEM 4G64 gasket is composite. Some of the aftermarket replacement gaskets such as the Felpro and APEX are MLS. Im not sure if Mitsu started using a MLS gasket in later 4G64 models (like after 2003) I know for sure my 99' stock engine had a composite gasket as did the 02' engine that I took apart for my donor block.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Power Enterprise gasket - This is the best one your money can buy. Its super solid, no reported failures on EVOM. The guys at MAPerformance and English Racing swear by this gasket and frankly, those guys are building more 4G64 powered cars than anyone else right now, so I trust them.

Just an update, English racing says they do not use the power enterprise gaskets anymore. I didn't find out the reason why, but it sounded like they had a bad experience that caused them to stop using it alltogether and not reccomend it to anyone

I just did some re-search, turns out all the aftermarket ones are MLS. It also looks like Mitsu we with MLS on some 03' models and began using them full time on 04+ models. I would imagine they did this for cost savings, they had to make the MLS gaskets for the EVO anyway, for the 64' they just needed to open up the bores by a few mm's. Cheaper than making two different gaskets out of two different materials.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Just an update, English racing says they do not use the power enterprise gaskets anymore. I didn't find out the reason why, but it sounded like they had a bad experience that caused them to stop using it alltogether and not reccomend it to anyone
    When was that? Maybe they started having quality control issues with them. I spoke with Aaron (JohnBradley) last year and those guys SWORE by those gaskets.

*EDIT* See what happens when I take a few months off? I miss stuff like this......
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12