The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Broken bolts and bloody knuckles...

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Broken bolts and bloody knuckles...

This is pretty much a general info, somewhat random rant type of thing. Bear with me.

I just bought a used 2000 Galant GTZ. It was due for a timing belt change so I had that done because i didn't want to tackle that one myself.

Then I hit a bump, followed by a clunk. Come to find out my top rear shock mount had rusted through. No problem, right? The broken side came right apart, no problem. The other side...yikes. The end result was a broken off lower shock mount bolt. Yeah, the large hardened bolt. Crap.

So I moved onto the rear bearing that needed to be replaced. I thought I needed to remove the ABS speed sensor (hindsight seems to show that's not the case). Snap. Yep, broke that bolt too. Proceeded to destroy the speed sensor getting everything apart.

Long story short (or maybe short story long) a torch and vise grips solved the shock mount issue. A sledge hammer convinced the wheel bearing to break free. The sensor bolt never did come out. But I was able to drill it out and snug up the sensor with a new bolt. The sensor fits so tight I'm not sure it even needs a bolt.

What did I learn? Don't touch the speed sensor if you don't have to. Think about getting an impact wrench for sticky bolts. The wheel bearing will come out, just keep hitting it. Gotta love when easy jobs go bad!

Welcome to the world of rusty old suspension components. On my '85 Chevy I would [I]hope/I] the bolts would shear off since there was no way they were gonna loosen, and that was easier than getting out the grinder.

And yes, if you can get to the bolts with it, an impact really helps.