The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galant with G37 wheels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Galant with G37 wheels

Hey my first post!!
    Anyway....needed some new tires and wanted some bigger wheels and came across a good deal on craigslist.

Side:

offset pic:

17" running 225/55-17..yea I know its a bit big but thats what I was going for...only 5% over. Plus I wanted to get rid of the wretched front fender gap!

So...what I learned. The offsets for these wheels is fine for the rear but not for the front. I think I will need to roll the rear fender. As you can see they are quite close. They rub when I hit big bumps. Now on the front wheels...you cant even put them on!! The immediately hit the bottom of the spring retainer on the strut. So I drove over to the local Auto Zone and picked up a pair of 5/16 spacers. Worked like a charm. No problems now....except....you can only turn the wheel 95% of the way left and right other wise it will rub the inside wheel well. So that is not too much of an issue.
    Feels great, smoother ride, sits a bit higher, less gap, but robs a bit of my responsiveness that I gained from doing the 6g72 TB swap.

You're welcome

is the wheel rubbing in the front or is the tire? 225/55r17 is actually 7.1% too big which is alot. i deally u wanna stay within 2% when upsizing... the way to get rid of wheel gap is lowering not getting bigger tires.

You realize how horribly this throws off your speedo, right?

As Reelax said, you don't get rid of wheel gap with improper aspect ratio, you lower the suspension. The proper tire size you need is 225/45 R17.

FYI: those autozone wheel spacers are not good quality. The Infiniti has the same bolt pattern, with the proper tire size, the spacers are not needed.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Yea get the right tire size and then save up for some coilovers to lower your car, they are thinner than the struts and springs.
    Last edited by Guzm4n; 03-22-2012 at 09:28 AM

I thought they would be bigger ones the 19s
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by master_visionary View Post
    I thought they would be bigger ones the 19s
    Me too, Ive always wanted those...

xgingerbreadmanx let me start off by saying, nice wheels they look good on there :)
    Now about your tires, you not only have an incorrect speedometer reading now (which can lead to you going over the speed limit and not even knowing thus resulting in a speeding ticket), but you also are Killing your MPG. And the way gas prices are right now its not even worth it. Look at the pros and cons to running these tires, there are more cons than pros, only pro is you hid some of the wheel gap.
    Get the right tire size (225/45/17) and sell the current tires to recoup youre costs. You wont have anymore rubbing issues, you'll be able too fully lock your wheels in a turn, and you will save MPG.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    is the wheel rubbing in the front or is the tire? 225/55r17 is actually 7.1% too big which is alot. i deally u wanna stay within 2% when upsizing... the way to get rid of wheel gap is lowering not getting bigger tires.
    Its the tire rubbing. Oh yea...you are right it is 7.1%. Originally i was calculating for 215s. I know how to get rid of fender gap. Everything I did i'm aware of. I did want the speedo to be off. I have a theory...a little experiment. I'll have my results soon.

Don't assume i'm a n00b to the car world. I've been around a while.
    Just wanted to share my experience and show what the wheels look like on an 8g.

"Experiment"? I don't see how using tires bigger than the OEM aspect ratio being beneficial.

What's your theory behind this? It just seems unnecessary and unusual.

-Chris-

From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Get correct tire size, lower car properly. Don't put un-needed stress on the drive-train. The car will look and handle better. Honestly they are a nice set of wheels but the huge balloon tires rob them of their looks.

And FYI theres still a front wheel gap.

Was a smooth swap or you really had to do something in there to make it work..I photoshop gtz with my boys g35 rims like around 06, but didnt think it would work as nice at it look on the pic

Will not fit Brembos. :( not good for me.

Needs a drop and get the right tire sizes.
    Last edited by polishmafia; 03-22-2012 at 10:55 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by xgingerbreadmanx View Post
    You're welcome
    Sorry I think I missed something. What are we supposed to be thanking you for?

Incorrect wheel size? Incorrect speedometer reading? Running spacers, or no mention of hubcentric rings?

I hope you got these for free, because there is no way in Hell I would put those on my car with all the problems they bring with them.

yea I know its a bit big but thats what I was going for...only 5% over. Plus I wanted to get rid of the wretched front fender gap!
    You say you are not a noob to cars. I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but this post as your first screams anything but that.

You do realize how much a safety problem you've created, right? Sitting higher than stock, not able to turn the wheel 100%, incorrect speedometer (for your "experiment") and using spacers without hubcentric rings. Is your experiment regarding how you wanted to completely disregard safety for yourself, your car and others on the road?

Well sir, I hope your test goes well, even if its completely a mindboggling one to me... But at least you got rid of the wheel gap.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

^^^ x2.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    But at least you got rid of the wheel gap.

Ummm...No he didn't. It's still there.

Geez you guys need to relax. Didn't know MY car was supposed to meet everyones standards. I thought it was my car.
    I know the tires are over sized but the wheels are fine. The experiment is to see if my gas milage will increase and thus far it has. Experiment going well so far.
    I posted this to show what these wheels look like on an 8g...so yea u are welcome. Pretty sure you didn't know what they looked like on an 8g before I posted this.

I know all the crap I did "wrong" but I have accounted and calculated for it. So all you a$$ hats calm down. I'm pretty sure you aren't concerned for my safety. You see the title newbie and feel the need to run off at the mouth. Either you like it or you don't. I really don't have to justify $h1t to anyone...take the pic for what it is....an example and keep it movin.
    Last edited by xgingerbreadmanx; 03-23-2012 at 10:17 PM

Wait...how does running a bigger aspect ratio, with a heavier wheel/tire combo increase gas mileage?

Your car doesn't have to meet standards, but c'mon...there's a common knowledge of keeping the aspect ratio when plus sizing the wheel size. It's obvious you just slapped on those wheels and tires as soon as you bought them, figuring that's the smallest wheel/tire size those G35/G37 sedans come with.

I seriously hope you're trolling, because you're not offering any real valid information behind running an obviously wrong tire size on your Galant.

-Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Wait...how does running a bigger aspect ratio, with a heavier wheel/tire combo increase gas mileage?

Your car doesn't have to meet standards, but c'mon...there's a common knowledge of keeping the aspect ratio when plus sizing the wheel size. It's obvious you just slapped on those wheels and tires as soon as you bought them, figuring that's the smallest wheel/tire size those G35/G37 sedans come with.

I seriously hope you're trolling, because you're not offering any real valid information behind running an obviously wrong tire size on your Galant.
    Well...you know my speedo is off right? So do I. Basically because its 7.1% i travel faster/ cover more ground at the same RPM with the larger tires correct?
    So when I drive 65 i'm actually doing approx. 70. This is ideal for me for all the highway driving. I spin approx. 150 rpms less then someone traveling a the same speed. It far more noticeable over longer distances.

You can have YOUR opinion about my "Dumb" idea but hey but at the of the day I drive my car and you drive your... just might get better gas milage then you. If not...lesson learned. Im just sharing. Next time I make a thread i guess i'll have to bust out my flame suit.

Clearly this thread has gone far off topic....the picture. Let it go...just look at the picture. Take from it what you want but let it go.

Man I thought zilvia.net had some ass hats...oh well

Dude, you're doing something that's obviously wrong, and you expected everyone to congratulate you or something? Surely you jest, but after your logic behind this "experiment"...it's not even worth it.

Have fun doing it wrong.

-Chris-

Thanks for killing the planet br0.

And based on your saying Zilvia has assholes, your S-chassis probably sucked too? I go on Zilvia all the time and have only seen bashing directed towards people with lame vehicles.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    club3g has much nice people in there and love Galant guys. post over on their forum, they are much more welcome to new people. arguing with some guys here is not gonna go anywhere. just move on! Argument settled!!! lock this thread please admins =]

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Geez you guys need to relax. Didn't know MY car was supposed to meet everyones standards. I thought it was my car.
    We are relaxed, its not our 'standard', it's the 'standard' on the sticker in the door jam, you want to aim for that overall diameter.

I posted this to show what these wheels look like on an 8g...so yea u are welcome. Pretty sure you didn't know what they looked like on an 8g before I posted this.
    Who's thanking? And who cares what they looked like, they're still OEM wheels from another car.

I know all the crap I did "wrong" but I have accounted and calculated for it. So all you a$$ hats calm down.
    Who says 'ass hat'!?

I'm pretty sure you aren't concerned for my safety.
    Actually, even though you don't think so, the people on this forum are genuine and they do care. They do want to see you get hurt or have something happen to your car that is going to cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars to repair, from my experience I've gotten slapped on the wrist once for suggesting something that was inaccurate, the people here do care for you and others on the road, which is why they speak out.

You see the title newbie and feel the need to run off at the mouth. I really don't have to justify $h1t to anyone...
    Dude grow a pair and type your 'ass' and 'shit' out if your really are that heated.

Well...you know my speedo is off right? So do I. Basically because its 7.1% i travel faster/ cover more ground at the same RPM with the larger tires correct?
    So when I drive 65 i'm actually doing approx. 70. This is ideal for me for all the highway driving. I spin approx. 150 rpms less then someone traveling a the same speed. It far more noticeable over longer distances.
    Lets say for arguments sake you wear a size 12 sneaker, put on a size 17 and run a few 400's, see how you feel.

You can have YOUR opinion about my "Dumb" idea but hey but at the of the day I drive my car and you drive your... just might get better gas milage then you.
    You might get better mileage than me, by like 1 mpg. But hey at least my drive-train will outlast yours.

Next time I make a thread i guess i'll have to bust out my flame suit.

Clearly this thread has gone far off topic....the picture. Let it go...just look at the picture. Take from it what you want but let it go.

Man I thought zilvia.net had some ass hats...oh well
    Who's flaming? You think this is bad? Clearly you are an internet forum newb. I have been on many forums since I have known what they are and this is by far once of the most chill boards you can find, which is why a great deal of the people who no longer own a Galant are still active members here.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    club3g has much nice people in there and love Galant guys. post over on their forum, they are much more welcome to new people. arguing with some guys here is not gonna go anywhere.
    ^^^ Good idea.

Yes go post on club3g.com

The eclipse is literally the same thing as an 8G with two doors, post your little balloon tire test trail so they can give you the kudos you deserve.

It may seem I went a bit far as to pick on every little thing you said, but I don't appreciate my community being insulted after they try to look out for someone. Especially one who keeps defending something that is clearly wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast