The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trunk shock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

Trunk shock?

I thought there was a tut about the shock that people have been putting in the trunk, but i cant seem to find it anywhere. Is my search button broken? I have found a small shock at Autozone, but not sure if it is what i need and not really sure i know how to do it. A tut would be helpful. Thanks.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

A few people have used the trunk shocks for the lancer. The shocks are made by redline tuning. I dont really reccomend using the shocks because they dont work as well as the stock torsion bars. Use them only if you have to remove the torsion bars because your speakers are hitting them

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    oh damn I might do this.. my torsion bar broke in half and sent metal shards flying...

Well if you dont have torsion bars at all, then yea, this would definately help keep your trunk up instead of using a piece of wood.

I think it was ChicagoGTZ had a prototype for trunk shocks form Redline Tuning back in the day and they couldnt come up with a design that would work.

that said, using the lancer shocks, the trunk is still heavy. I think the stock trunk is about 50lbs? From closed position to halfway up, the trunk still feels like its 20lbs. After its halfway open, the shocks do the rest of the work. Closing the trunk is the same thing but opposite. A lot of people drop my trunk lid shut because it suddenly gets heavy halfway down. :(

with a carbon fiber trunk though, I think it should be fine.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

A cf trunk is the opposite. MrJaydeeones (Jason) trunk is too light to close with 1 hand. The trunk flexes a little and I feel like I could break it if trying to close it too many times only using 1 hand. I have to use 2 hands to close it and have to use like 10 pounds of force to do it.

Well, the speakers that are in my car have to have a wooden spacer to keep the speaker from hitting the torsion bars. I would like to be rid of them all together. So which shocks from redline were used? Or do they have the part listed for the 8g?

bumping an old thread. I tried flipping the trunk shocks upside down and the trunk is easier to open and close now. It doesnt slam shut anymore like i previosuly said. The trunk shocks are not half bad anymore. be advised when installing the trunk shocks, do not follow the Lancer instructions, the trunk will not close correctly if you do

how would you take those torsion bars out?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

A torch.

look under there and check. mine came off pretty easy. I know i didnt need a torch. lol

They just pop out with some force, just stick your head under their you will see exactly where to pull at.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

QNZ, can you take a pic of your trunk with them? Im thinking i could probably use them on my stratus. I want to see how these work.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

to take off the torsion bar through CUTTING you can also use an angle grinder. i used it to cut off an inch or so from the end because my speakers were hitting it. sparks do fly but it takes like 2 seconds.

ummm be careful taking that torsion bar... i got one off and the trunk slammed down on my legs. yes it hurt lol. its easier to pull on it to bend the bar enough to take them out one side at a time.

another thing, i tried to ziptie the torsion bars a little closer together so my trunk didn't slam all the time.. yea one of the bars broke in half. had to weld them back together. figured id give ya a lil bit of info before you go hurt yourself lol

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

So, what shocks am i looking for? What year model of lancer? and do you have pics of how you mounted them?

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    ummm be careful taking that torsion bar... i got one off and the trunk slammed down on my legs.

legs? were you sitting in the trunk?? hehe

yea, the trunk is about 50lbs without the torsion bars

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    legs? were you sitting in the trunk?? hehe

yea, the trunk is about 50lbs without the torsion bars

lol yea i was laying down putting new speakers in.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

here are cell phone pics of how I installed my shocks. I flipped the shocks upside down and the trunk is easier to lift and close now.

Interesting. So are those rivets holding them on?? They don't look like bolts., i'm going to have to look these up. I want some for the Stratus.

I think im going to get the hood struts too.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast