The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A friend will donate an EVO9 stock engine...

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

A friend will donate an EVO9 stock engine...

Yo!

I don't know if he's pulling my leg or what but a friend of mine says that he's going to donate his EVO9 stock engine to me for my 8g VR4 for free

He's quite serious though and the reason why he wants to give it to me is because none of his friends want it...not because it's blown-up or broken...but it's because it's under powered by his/their standards

His EVO9 now has a V8 in it.

I'll know by the last week of April if this is a sick joke but anyway, if this is really true...

- aside from the engine, what parts, pieces should I need for the stock EVO9 to fit into my 8g VR4?

- would it even fit in the 8g engine bay?

- or should I just abandon the idea because it won't work and stick to my 6a13TT?

Opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I think it's only the engine that he'll be donating.
    Last edited by gian7675; 03-30-2012 at 01:04 AM

it will fit the USDM i4, but into the JDM 8G VR4 it might be a much harder swap in... check w/ clubvr4 for confirmation.

2 reasons your friends an idiot:

1. He put a v8 engine in his evo -.-
    2. He's giving away an evo9 engine.

lolz, sorry had to.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Wait, wait, wait...a V8 Evo? Pics are needed.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

What gains would be had by you swapping your V6TT for a 2.0L i4? The cost and time it will take to swap in the 4 cyl, you can use to buy bigger turbos for the vr4 or convert to single turbo or even rebuild the engine

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    it will fit the USDM i4, but into the JDM 8G VR4 it might be a much harder swap in... check w/ clubvr4 for confirmation.
    Its exactly the same engine bay as in a eu or us Galant :-) So yes, it will fit perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    What gains would be had by you swapping your V6TT for a 2.0L i4? The cost and time it will take to swap in the 4 cyl, you can use to buy bigger turbos for the vr4 or convert to single turbo or even rebuild the engine
    X2! The 4G63T is a dam good engine but the V6 has more low end torque that fit the bigger and heavier Galant.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiZnitH View Post
    Its exactly the same engine bay as in a eu or us Galant :-) So yes, it will fit perfectly
    i know the suspension mounts and tower width is different for sure... are the engine mounts the same?

not to mention all the transmission changing etc. ive seen vr4 engines in evos, and it has been done evo to vr4, but why, if yr going down the power route,there are many vr4s running 500 hp and one nut job in particular that has gone way over the top and has around 900, tho thats just a track bitch. the easy route, performance air filter, not a cone type, why would you want to suck in hot air, reflash yr ecu they can all be done now even the pfl ecu,uprate the fuel pump, fit wideband,hard pipes,big intercooler, and if you still havent crashed like the guys said big single turbpo conversion or a nice pair of td04s,give it a squirt of nos if yr that way inclined,but before you start anything check what you have at the moment,belts, hoses,boost pipes,vac lines,(you will have a leak somewhere i guarentee it) check the boost yr running now, do check for knock with evoscan,cos i bet the ecu hasnt been flashed,and give it a good service, preferably use amsol oils, check boost pipes for oil,check you dont have any warning codes stored in yr ecus ,nothing is as simple as bolting something on on vr4 engines, you dont need a mut to change the ayc ,and you dont need one for changing the fluid in the auto boxs eithier despite what mitsubishi say. if you need advice on those, just give me a shout and i will find you a link to a how to .and reelax is quite right the engine mounts are different,you will have to get them fabricated, nothing stock will fit

Thanks for all the replies and comments

Anyway,

2 reasons your friends an idiot:

1. He put a v8 engine in his evo -.-
    2. He's giving away an evo9 engine.

lolz, sorry had to.

Dunno if it's wrong to prefer a v8 than the EVO9 stck...but all he just said was the EVO9 was under powered so he swapped it with a v8 to add more power to it.

Wait, wait, wait...a V8 Evo? Pics are needed.

I'll ask him for pics =)

The 4G63T is a dam good engine but the V6 has more low end torque that fit the bigger and heavier Galant.

I'm kind of brainwashed that 4g63T engines are way better than the 6a13TT on my VR4...my other forum mates told me that upgrades on the 4g63T are plenty, easier to find, readily available.

The 6a13TT on the other hand has few upgrades and well...the mechanics in my area are quite stomped regarding the 6a13TT engine...all they're more familiar with te 4g63T and the 6a13TT is unfamilar ground to them...kind of lonely living on an island province/city wherei the tech knowledge is very limited.

not to mention all the transmission changing etc. ive seen vr4 engines in evos, and it has been done evo to vr4, but why, if yr going down the power route,there are many vr4s running 500 hp and one nut job in particular that has gone way over the top and has around 900, tho thats just a track bitch. the easy route, performance air filter, not a cone type, why would you want to suck in hot air, reflash yr ecu they can all be done now even the pfl ecu,uprate the fuel pump, fit wideband,hard pipes,big intercooler, and if you still havent crashed like the guys said big single turbpo conversion or a nice pair of td04s,give it a squirt of nos if yr that way inclined,but before you start anything check what you have at the moment,belts, hoses,boost pipes,vac lines,(you will have a leak somewhere i guarentee it) check the boost yr running now, do check for knock with evoscan,cos i bet the ecu hasnt been flashed,and give it a good service, preferably use amsol oils, check boost pipes for oil,check you dont have any warning codes stored in yr ecus ,nothing is as simple as bolting something on on vr4 engines, you dont need a mut to change the ayc ,and you dont need one for changing the fluid in the auto boxs eithier despite what mitsubishi say. if you need advice on those, just give me a shout and i will find you a link to a how to .and reelax is quite right the engine mounts are different,you will have to get them fabricated, nothing stock will fit

So reading all the comments are suggestions...I'll probably stick with my 6a13TT for now.

AnywayIf he does give me the EVO9 engine, who am I to decline it?

I'll just store it away until the day comes that my 8g needs a heart surgery.

Thanks guys for the comments. helped me a lot

take the engine...... sell the engine....... get drunk, buy a pair of td04s, do a little research and 500hp plus is yours, plus if you do it right no one will know till they are looking at your tail fading into the distance.thats the galant/legnums party piece and its worth it to see the shock in their faces. i presume you have a free flowing zorst so thats step 1 sorted,enjoy the car ! i know what you mean about the lack of tech know how with these engines but there are places to look to find info,and mitsubishi aint one of them.people on here can help and the internet makes the world a small place.

While the 6a13 likely sounds better, I'd choose the 4g63 over the 6a13 over it in every category other than that.

oh and if you want info on upgrade parts drop me a pm and i will do what i can to help

Reglar: The suspension setup is diffrent and thats the only mechanic diffrence between the US and the other Galants. The rest is just cosmetic changes :-)