The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 Galant:Check engine light on, then blows radio fuse

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

94 Galant:Check engine light on, then blows radio fuse

Hey Guys I just picked up a sweet 94 LS. It has 134K and very well maintained. The issue I have is the Check engine light came on while on the highway home. I'm a backyard mechanic and familiar with engines. I believe it has OBD-I. Car was made in March of 94. When I try to ground the #1 slot of the Diagnostic connector under the dash it shorts out the radio/clock fuse. I did some research and bought the Haynes manual. Well it looks like I am using the correct slot. I'm grounding it with a jumper wire using the accelerator spring that looks like it is well grounded to the pedal mounting plate on the firewall. When looking at the connector with my head sideways looking up (my right ear faces carpet) the slot I am using is the upper left corner. It's the 1st slot from the top row and from left to right. Could this car be actually be one those mixmatch cars that have OBD-I Diagnostics with OBD-II connector? I've read somewhere about them. I unplugged the battery and light went away but I know it will be back someday. I'll try to post pics, Thanks in advance

Yes the 94 galant is one those mixmatch cars that have OBD-I Diagnostics with OBD-II connector
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Previous thread covered this at https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ht=flash+codes. I've copied/pasted the section that should help you out but more information avaialbe on that thread.

This copied from "Car Problems? 7th Gen Only" topic "electrical problem/On Board Diagnstics (OBD) plug problem"

This the OBD2 plug with a few of the position indicated. Our 94 and 95 cars are equipped with this 16 pin OBD2 style connector but have OBD1 type diagnostics which means you can't use an OBD2 code reader to read the error codes. Instead on our 94 & 95 models you ground out position #1 and count how many times the Check Engine Light (CEL) flashes to determine why your CEL is on. (Haynes manual chapter 6, page 6-5 for details),

pin 16 +12v power
    pin 5 ground
    pin 9 8192 baud serial data
    Pin 1 ground out to determine error codes on 94 & 95's
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

BTW, I grounded the wrong position and blew the radio fuse alog with a few other things.
    jjj

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check this again. The info definitely helped. Looking at the diagram, I might be looking at the connector the wrong way.
    Last edited by GALANTnewbee; 03-30-2012 at 10:05 AM

I did look at the connector the wrong way which is why I blew my fuse. Good luck. 94 with 130K is like brand new. Change the oil every 3K, change the timing belt, every 60K and cross your fingers the auto* trans holds up and you're good to go. If you have a 5-speed life is good. I love my 7g.

* auto trans is the major weakness of the 7g. Do a 5-speed swap and you are good forever.
    jjj

This site is Awesome! It turned out to be code 43 EGR. took the valve out, cleaned it up and now all set. Thanks again!!! The car came from a 48 yr old cougar who likes white wine and tall men...LOL...This Galant sat in a garage since 07. Paint still shines, no rust, new tires, no mods, not even tints. I feel like I'm driving a fish bowl!!! So far all I have done is some new tranny fluid/filter, replaced the exhaust down pipe, cat converter and a tune up. I plan on doing the T-belt soon after I make sure nothing else starts giving out. I purchased the T-belt and the package only brought 1 belt? I know this engine has two. The auto tranny..geesh....This is my 1st car with a slush box. It does have some issues. Gears go short and fast . It will go through all the gears and hit 3rd by the time it reaches 30mpg??? then downshifts hard when I slow down. Sometimes it even jolts forwards. All this sound normal after I read some threads. Headlamps flicker sometimes on the highway... this is not normal..is it? I read somewhere about these cars have a driving habit memory?

my Corolla GT-S Coupe lasted me 21 years, and this car....well I dunno if it would get that far but I certainly am going to baby it.

its better if you baby it with 5 spd swap
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I've had my 94ES since the autum of 93. She is going on 19 years and 270K miles now. I rebuilt the auto at 200K. Its been brakes, timing belts, oil changes and some suspension work to tighten things up. Paint is letting go as she's been outside most of the last 12 years (3 years in the AZ sun and 9 years of Montana's winters) but I'll probably repaint and continue to use her as my daily driver. I like my 7g so much I have picked up 4 others (one I parted out due to body damage and the need for a 5 speed donor car). 7g are great cars as long as you change the timing belt and the auto trans keeps it together. As MKO implied, 5 speed swap one of the best modifications going.
    jjj