The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AUX/3.5mm solution

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

AUX/3.5mm solution

Hey guys, its been a while but i'm looking into a solution for using my android phone instead of my ipod with my infinity head unit.

I do have the $200 OEM ipod adapter . . . (now for sale for cheap if anyone wants to toy with it . . . ).
    The adapter box has a 13pin connector much like the 13pin connector in the back of the head unit where the adapter itself plugs in.
    And although I've seen the 4G guys solution for AUX (3.5mm or RCA), as a matter of neatness a plug and play cable such as the ones linked are more to my liking.

Does anyone know if those would actually work this head unit?
    I have a 05' GTS blue LED display.

This one is the one id like the most.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=200505647944

This would be an alternative to still be able to use the ipod.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECLIPSE-INPU...efaultDomain_0

the Ipodadapter PN is MZ6076411EX

the AUX adapter the 4G guys are using is the MZ360135EX

any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-G...ht_3368wt_1159

i have an 8g an bought a radio from this guy with the 3.5 added and its legit... pricey..but legit lol

idk if those cables would work its matter of actually turning on the AUX function on your radio and it working

Im just driving from VA to orlando in a few weeks and id rather listen to pandora or something else than my ipod since it ussually dies quickly regardless.

If its a matter of turning on the aux capability i think it would work.
    Im gonna go to my car in a lil bit and check but im preety possitive it will go into aux mode. without anything conected to it. In fact i think itll go into aux mode eeven with the ipod adapter conected into the 13 pin since the adapter itself has another 13 pin connector . . . like a piggyback? I dunno. the thing is that id like to just be able to plug my phone.

And I have to agree. that actually looks clean and neat and perfect . . . wish i wouldve found that when i bought the ipod adapter 2 years ago.

Also when i get to orlando i have to sell my 9G . . . know anybody interested?

i BELIEVE you have to press and hold the CD button for a few seconds, I could be wrong, but i swear i read that somewhere, because I was looking at doing the same thing on my 04 GTS

i have the aux cable for my 4g...

got it from ebay for $15.00 eclipse aux cable, it only works with our premium rockford fosgate system

here's how it plugs in to the stock connector

here's a how to link that might help you how to aux cable install

i tried a cable first like the one in your pictures, took a month to get it from china, once i received it, the fucker didn't work, or at least it wouldn't work with my iphone

press and hold the cd button for 3-5 seconds, it should then display "aux"

Quote Originally Posted by freakydeaky View Post
    press and hold the cd button for 3-5 seconds, it should then display "aux"
    does it go into AUX modes without the wires hooked up? I don't have the wires, but I figured i'd test it, held the button down and got nothing. So I'm wondering if it needs the wires to be there, or maybe it's just my particular version of the stereo.

should go into aux mode whether you have the cable hooked up or not... i also have audio controls on the backside of my steering wheel, i can choose aux using those too

do you mind taking a picture of your head unit and posting it?

chances are that your unit doesn't have the aux capability, on the 4g's you only have the aux option if you have the premium sound system, but if you post up a pic of your radio, i can tell you for sure

based on the version of the head unit
    Last edited by freakydeaky; 04-02-2012 at 05:28 PM

I have a 9G '04 GTS with the Infinity head unit. I also have the audio controls on the back of the steering wheel.

on the steering wheel controls.... press the middle of the up/ down on the volume control, does it switch modes? if so, cycle through them all... let me know what you find out

did some research, and i don't think you have an factory aux mode

below is the wiring diagram for the eclipse 4g with the rockford fosgate system (only screen capped the part i wanted to show you), the red circled object is a 22 pin connector that my head unit has on the back... the aux cable i listed above plugs into 23, 24, and 35

below is the wiring diagram for 04-06 galant with the infinity sound system (again, screen capped)

according to the above diagram, it looks like all you have is the main harness and the amp harness... is this correct, do you have another pin connector on the back?... if you're not sure, do you have a picture of the back?

and to let you know, after a quick search, i found some good information in the archives on this site.... never really found a "definate" answer, i still think you may be out of luck
    Last edited by freakydeaky; 04-02-2012 at 08:45 PM

wow im glad this thread got rolling like it did =)

I have on 05' GTS and the same Infinity system.

I tried holding the CD for a few with and without the ipod adapter hooked up. Nada. I tried the source buttons behind the steering wheel as well in both variables and nothing.

Ima give it a go one more time in a few mins and ill take a few pics of the connections in the back too.

What bothers me is that the instructions that you posted have our head unit listed!

And im going to japan sooner than expected so my road trip is on Monday!

UPDATE!

I just got off the phone w Mitsu Dealership here in VA Beach.

The lady said that the part is listed to work on 9Gs 2007 and above.
    However, if the head unit on the 07 and above models is the same MN14196 that we have,
    then i think we should be good to go. Any way of verifying this tho?
    She said that it might work, however they wont take it back if it doesn't since my vehicle model is not listed for the part.

its $35 o w them btw!

i have the oem adapter and you just gotta put in on "cd2" .. so hit cd twice and it works at least for me it does.

9g Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by echo12 View Post
    I tried holding the CD for a few with and without the ipod adapter hooked up. Nada. I tried the source buttons behind the steering wheel as well in both variables and nothing.
    i tried this as well and got nothing. :/

And brent, I'll try to see if it'll go into CD2 mode, but idk

Quote Originally Posted by brent-ralliart08 View Post
    i have the oem adapter and you just gotta put in on "cd2" .. so hit cd twice and it works at least for me it does.
    thats the oem ipod adapter right? $125 box that plugs in to the 13pin DIMin the back of the head unit. I have that one too. This is something different tho.

where are we at with this? any pictures?

and echo, i say try the $35 part, if it doesn't work... at least it didn't break the bank

no CD2 mode for me.... faaaaaaack

Quote Originally Posted by JesterheadGTS View Post
    no CD2 mode for me.... faaaaaaack
    Im gonna go tomorrow and buy it and try it.

i know CD2 wont come up unless u have the ipod adapter plugged in. (13pin dim)
    . i guess what the hell. ima give it a shot. if it dont work ima try and hussle it to a 4g owner here in va or in orlando if i see one. theres a few things to try but not enough time. So ima try this one and ill let you guys know what happens tomorrow.
    im guessing that the cd2 and aux function work where the connection is plugged in.

well see what happenz!

stay tuned . . .!

im also thinking since im cheapo perhaps getting a reg 6ft 3.5. at radio shack and matching the leads for the 22pin connector might be a money saver.

any thoughts?

echo, so what's the verdict?

sorry guys!

Ran out of time w the dealership.
    U know since I'm packing and going to japan in a few weeks . . . u know, no biggie.

Anyways I'm trying to figure out the name of the metal "thingy" that would go at the end of the single wire, that would hook up to the wire harness.

I have a ton of 3.5 cables here at home and i want to go to radio shack and buy the "thingy" and do it myself...hopefully tomorrow/

yes i know . . . "cutting and splicing" . . . but it gets the job done.

On a side note, spent some time staring at the rear of my head unit just to realize i only have the 14 plug adapter.
    Now, I know that we declared that if you have an Infinity/rockford/premium sound? you'd have the 22 pin connector.
    However, since the 14pin connector seems to work on the other models id still like to give it a shot.

For the record the "CD2" displayed is an link to the ipod adapter.
    Meaning that unless you have something attached to the 13pin DIM in the back of the head unit you'll never see it.

When I originally started this research i read that the original purpose of the 13pin dim was for a CD changer, when head units only had single CDs.
    Therefore making the OEM ipodadapter still able to link to the "CD2" or whatever other things you could manage to plug in via the mysterious 13pin dim.
    Including but not limited to NAVI and SAT radio.

Anyways after sharing that knowledge I STILL need the name of the . . . "thingy" . . . yea hate me for it.

but to treat your eyes and hair pulling here's some nice pics.

here's the back of the head unit

14-pin connector

13-pin DIM for the ipod adapter

the ipodadapter. Forgot to show the side where theres another 13pin dim input

these are extra. . .

the lifted lip from the pass airbag side

HIDS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast