The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to: 4g69 (2.4L) rre header install

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

how to: 4g69 (2.4L) rre header install

i didn't write this how to, simply copied from c4g so that it can be shared on tgc... thanks to darksideclipse for this write up

and yes, these will fit the 9g 2.4L's

thought this would help some of the 9g owners that want a little more out of their engine... of course i can't post in the knowledge base section, so i had to post it here, mods feel free to move if you see fit

Tools needed:
    Ratchet
    10mm deep, & short (Driver side O2 mounting bracket)
    12mm deep, & short (Heat Shield)
    14mm deep, & short (2 collector bolts, mounting bracket, Exhaust port bolts)
    17mm deep (2 of the collector bolts)
    14mm wrench (One of the exhaust port bolts you will see why)
    22mm wrench (O2 Sensors)
    Pliers or Channel locks (Channel lock preferred for mounting Sensor into Spacer)
    Bore drill bit (One of the holes on the header might not be lined up quite right)
    Copper Gasket

Step 1. Disconnect Battery negative, and positive making sure they touch nothing. Some will argue this is not needed. However I have been CEL free from the moment I started the car at the end of the job. So it's up to you. I also sprayed everything down RP Maxifilm to loosen it all up.

Step 2. Jack the Car up and place jack stands. I only jacked up the passenger side. Its up to you if you want to raise the whole front end, or not.

Step 3. Disconnect all 4 O2 Sensors. There are two plugs on the driver side, and two on the passenger side. Gray and Black Plugs after you unplug them pull the plastic plug off of the bracket. The driver's side I used a 10mm socket to take the bracket off cause the plugs were stubborn. You can also take pliers now and bend all the wire brackets a little so you can get the wire out easily.

driver's side:

passenger side:

Step 4. Take your 12mm socket, and remove the heat shield bolts. These will not be reused. After there out take your time and wiggle the heat shield out of the engine bay. I say take your time so you don't damage your 02 sensors.

Step 5. This is where I went under the car. I did it in this order to make it easier. Trust me it does but you don't have to do it in this order if you like to make things harder on yourself. First take the 22mm wrench and break your bottom 02 sensors free. Once they are loosened up take your 14mm deep socket, and remove the front collector bolt. Now take your 17mm deep socket and remove the 2 nuts on the sides of the collector. After those are free take the 14mm socket pull down on the collector and remove the bracket bolt.

Step 6. Come back up topside with your 14mm deep socket and remove the I think its 6 nuts that are holding your manifold on the block. Once those are off simply pull your OEM manifold out of the engine bay. While your doing this please feel free to notice how much heavier it is than the RRE.

Step 7. Clean the exhaust ports good with carburetor cleaner, The OEM Gasket's also. Make sure you clean them all very well. Now that it is all clean take your Gasket, and coat around the exhaust port holes with copper gasket. On both sides of the gasket slide it on the bolts. Line the header up on the bolts and push it on. ( I had to bore one of the holes with a drill cause it was a little off. Not sure if anyone else had too.) Place the washer's and bolts back on and tighten them down. I don't know spec's but I tightened nice and tight.

Step 8. Climb under the car. First put the bracket bolt in and tighten it down. Same thing for the gasket here coat both sides in copper gasket around the hole. It doesn't take a whole lot. Put in the new bolts RRE supplied so the nut will be on the bottom. Line up the collector and push it up to meet the header. Twist the nuts on, and tighten down with your 14mm deep socket. Again I tightened until I felt comfortable.

Step 9. Take the bottom 2 O2 sensor's (black wire) put copper gasket around the thread careful not to get any on the sensor. Screw them into the Spacer's provided by RRE. I used channel lock's and the 22mm wrench to tighten them into the spacer. Now put some copper gasket on the thread of the spacer's and screw them back into the collector. Take your 22 mm wrench and tighten them in. It doesn't take much to tighten them. Same for the upper sensor's(gray wire). Re run your O2 wires through the bracket's and squeeze them closed again. Now plug your sensor's back in black to black gray to gray. Don't forget to put the plastic plug back on the bracket.

Step 10. reconnect battery check your engine bay make sure nothing is going to cause any trouble ie items left behind. Put the key in and start the car. Listen for exhaust leak's. Check for CEL which if you disconnected the battery you shouldn't have. If you used carb cleaner you can watch the small flame come out of you exhaust if your quick enough.

The header, and Copper gasket are gonna smoke they are supposed to it's ok. The copper gasket is gonna burn and it is gonna stink for a few days. It will go away eventually. Enjoy your sound, and power.

thanks to darksideclipse for this how to

link for the headers?

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g.htm<------ right this way. Scroll down until you see this listing "RRE Stainless Steel Race Headers GS" as long as you have the 2.4L. I have the same headers, definitely worth it

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but should I use the gaskets from the dealership or get the copper gaskets?

Just wanted to update in case anyone else had a question,
    the RRE headers can reuse the same gasket that is on the car or you can get a new set at the dealership,
    I asked RRE about this.

just bought this header (yes, singular, our cars only have one header). does this connect to the stock downpipe in plug & play fashion or will i have to do some custom fabricating?

couldn't find the answer to this anywhere...
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE

nevermind, no custom work needed. this unit bolts right up. just did mine a few weeks ago.
    2005 LANCER EVOLUTION MR
    2012 GALANT SE