The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tranny still slips after fluid change

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Tranny still slips after fluid change

Fluid that is 2 days old is already brown. I had to use the best ATF SPIII equivalent I could find. The Mitsu Dealer parts dept was not open on Sunday. After fluid change it did not slip at all. Yesterday it slipped once and today 3 times. Mainly after quick or hard launches. I'm sure the fluid that was in there before was not the right one. I knew it was going to mix in with whatever was left in the Torque Conv but wow it's now maple syrup. Going to buy the correct fluid tomorrow but IS THE DAMAGE ALREADY DONE? It will not slip if I drive like grand ma. I plan on doing a full tranny flush this time rather than dropping pan and refill, I already did that and the pan was pretty clean, not much shavings at all. I work on Detroit muscle and sometimes Toyota, Mitsubishi world is toatally new for me.

So will I waste my time spending $68 for new dealer brand ATF fluid? Please help...I stop doing the weekend "honey-do" list and my wife is getting on my nerves!!!

Thanks in advance

Is your G a V6 or I4? what year? how many miles? The 8G V6 trannies are known to go out after 120k
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Oops sorry it's 4cyl, SOHC 134K miles. I only drove it for 2 days. From my previous CEL post "Car is a 94 LS, Runs great, minor tranny issues. It's completely stock and has been sitting for 5 years. Engine bay is clean and idles really good. Has no leaks and everything works. It was very well maintained by a local dealearship. Replaced down pipe and Cat. Will be doing T-belt soon after this CEL crisis is over."

"minor issue" now turning major.....dealer was a Chevy dealer so ATF fluid could be their brand. After a complete cleaning with intake off, TB, EGR and seafoam treatment, no CEL but now this
    Last edited by GALANTnewbee; 04-03-2012 at 11:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    Is your G a V6 or I4? what year? how many miles? The 8G V6 trannies are known to go out after 120k
    Since when? I have been here 12 years and haven't seen a rash of failed transmissions in either v6 or 4cyl Galants. Or eclipses for that matter...

Op, you should get the fluid flushed and refilled with Mitsubishi original fluid from the dealer, and as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Since when? I have been here 12 years and haven't seen a rash of failed transmissions in either v6 or 4cyl Galants. Or eclipses for that matter...

Op, you should get the fluid flushed and refilled with Mitsubishi original fluid from the dealer, and as soon as possible.
    From my experience and from reading on forums about the galants, eclipses, and stratus'. Mine went at 120k and my one friend's went at 124k and another friend at 120k; all 8Gs.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

^ I blame not following correct maintenance intervals and proper high pressure flushes.

My 2001 Eclipse V6 with sporty auto had dealer flushes every 60k. Sold it at 152k, I bumped into the new owner recently he just had another flush done at 180k, he's very please with car and he says it still runs like a champ. (Commercial cleaning service)

My silver i4 8G (in sig) awaits a flush sitting at 172k, 180k is when I'm due, fluid is a bit discolored but no rough shifts or slips. Pulls its weight and still very strong.

My other 8G also i4 just got flushed at 212k its now at 215k no problems in fact car feels better and shifts feel 'healthier'.

I don't believe I'm having good luck with my cars, nor did you and your buddies have bad luck. I've said it before and will say it again "Maintenance goes a long way..."

Now the car will not take overdrive and it slips everywhere. I'm gonna check how much the dealer will charge for a flush using their high pressure machine compared to my homestyle method of disconnecting the supply line, a bucket and 2 extra quarts. 8 quarts here in CT for SPIII is $68.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    guys this in in the 7G section, it can only be a 4 cylinder and our auto trannies are known to suck and fail so dont blame any fluid. these autos failed at 30k or even less from the factory in some occasions, look around and youll find all the auto tranny issues.

What made you change the fluid? Was it slipping before the change? if it was slipping before and after the change i say the tranny is on its way out. i would look for a low mileage used one or look into doing the 5 speed swap.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I changed the fluid because it slipped bad and the fluid looked like Aunt Jemima. After the fluid change it was beautiful for 2 days. Fluid is dark again like I mentioned before.

I explained to the Mitsu dealer on how I flush trannies and they said for the age of the car and mileage that will be sufficient. I'm thinking they didn't want to do it today. So I flushed it with SPIII and the O/D is the only gear not taking.

I drove to my local tranny repair shop and the guy said I should of used DEXRON III? He said the difference is minimal? I dunno everywhere I've searched tells me to use SPII or SPIII only. I ordered the end clutch and seal kit.

This will be my first Mitsu tranny repair...... wish me luck!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i would put in the correct fluid, well i would, and i would try changing the tranny oil filter as they can get clogged over time as well and it wouldnt hurt.

MD737840 is the part number and it should run you about 35 40 bucks. it also comes with a new gasket to the valve body.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I dropped the pan last week. There was not that much shavings or gunk on the magnets, looked pretty good, just the fluid was dark.

I rebuilt the end clutch, flushed and refilled with SPIII and I'm back in buisness. My local tranny sshop told me after all I did that most likely the tranny would be going out soon and to start looking for a replacement. He also said to use a bottle of TRANS-X and DEXRON III since it cheaper to flush with it. I went with the Mitsu fluid and the the additive.

I'm all set Thanks to you guys, your Awesome!!

I'm still trying to get my daughter to help me upload some pics, some reason my computer desn't like to upload without giving me errors.

Quote Originally Posted by GALANTnewbee View Post
    I drove to my local tranny repair shop and the guy said I should of used DEXRON III? He said the difference is minimal?
    Typical.

Glad you got it working, I just found out what a pain messing with transmissions is. Just got done with a tranny swap with my buddy, sensors and whatnot throwing us off we have had a long 2 days, ready to call it a night.

that sucks. Change the fluid or start looking for a new tranny