The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MPG not what it used to be, any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

MPG not what it used to be, any ideas?

I have a 2003 Galant with the 4G64 4cyl. 186K miles. I know its probably getting tired with that mileage, but my fuel economy isn't what it used to be. I owned the car since 2005 when it had 37K miles on it, and up until about 150K I always got 390 to 400 miles on a tank (~29 mpg), for the last 30K miles, I've been averaging only about 300 to 330 miles per tank (21 mpg). Air filter is good, tranny was flushed at 150K, tires are good, timing belt and balance belt with all pulleys/bearings were changed at 160K. The only things I could think of are maybe plugs/wires, or maybe the timing isn't quite spot on. I don't have any error codes, but I might replace the 02 sensor just because its never been done. Any other ideas/suggestions?
    Last edited by PlorkZ; 04-05-2012 at 09:31 PM Reason: Changed initial mpg, I always calculate it based on tripometer and how much fuel it took to fill up, I was getting near 30mpg

change the plugs first since i change mine every year just for the reason that their dirt cheap and i run nkg iridium about 7 bucks a piece and then move on to more expensive things if that doesnt solve your gas milage problem

Tune up would really help.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Seafoam it and see where that gets you!

IRC im geting 250miles a tank :S im at 200 now and the needle is near the bottom
    i do drive responsibly but i do push the paddle sometimes
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

Ok, I replaced the plugs, wires, and upstream 02 sensor. I haven't driven it enough to see if there is a difference, I'll post back after I've put a tank of fuel through it (with SeaFoam of course!). However, while changing the plugs I noticed there was a significant amount of oil pooled up around the spark plugs and plug wires (down in the spark plug holes in the head). I'm guessing this is due to some seals between the valve cover and head, at each cylinder? Is this an easy fix, or is there some other cause for this, maybe a common issue?

Thanks again.

dude i used get 250 a tank. and i just put in new sparks, wires and belts. i still get 250 lol. the old plugs were dry as desert sand.
    Last edited by specter6633; 04-16-2012 at 03:56 PM

ive got the 03 I4 and i get 350 a tank easely still

run a scan on your car and that might show you if anything is wrong with it like a bad sensor etc
    Last edited by suad618; 04-16-2012 at 02:25 PM

a scan how?

Quote Originally Posted by specter6633 View Post
    a scan how?
    I thinks he means like getting the car checked at autozone where they plug into the obd2 port and check for codes.
    13 Honda Accord EX 6MT

ohh i did that and i have no codes. those 100 miles are drivin me insane bro, maybe its cuz im fat?

edit: im going to fill up till the pump clicks then im going to drive like an old lady and see how many miles i get. i do about 28 miles a day. ill report back..... should be saturday.
    Last edited by specter6633; 04-16-2012 at 03:54 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Has your route changed recently? When I was doing only city driving I was getting only about 240 ish. Now with mostly all highway driving out went up to 330 ish to a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlorkZ View Post
    Ok, I replaced the plugs, wires, and upstream 02 sensor. I haven't driven it enough to see if there is a difference, I'll post back after I've put a tank of fuel through it (with SeaFoam of course!). However, while changing the plugs I noticed there was a significant amount of oil pooled up around the spark plugs and plug wires (down in the spark plug holes in the head). I'm guessing this is due to some seals between the valve cover and head, at each cylinder? Is this an easy fix, or is there some other cause for this, maybe a common issue?

Thanks again.
    Change the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals that should cure the oil on the spark plugs, use some grey RTV gasket maker on the gasket and on each tube seal.

4g64T 5spd

The issue with the tube seals can cause bad mpgs. Replace them as mentioned above. Difficulty of task between 1-10 is like 2.5-3.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    Has your route changed recently? When I was doing only city driving I was getting only about 240 ish. Now with mostly all highway driving out went up to 330 ish to a tank.
    i drive 3 blocks to the sawmill parkway then exit at Yankee stadium. then its 5 blocks to the parking garage. in total 12.3 miles. and then after work same thing, 5 blocks city driving then highway to house. another 12.3 miles. i do occasionally beat it so i can hear the nice cold air intake sound. :) but i don't think its 100 gas miles worth lol

I get about 24mpg city and haven't tested highway. So about 350 a tank just doing city driving.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

found this here : http://65.110.63.50/showthread.php?t=2536
    going to switch to synthetic see next oil change.

My route hasn't changed, I do about 18 miles total, 13.5 or so at 60mph and the rest is in town.

Thanks for the tips on changing the valve cover seals, that sounds easy enough to fix, I'll make that my next project.

Also, I just changed the oil, I have always been using pennzoil conventional oil in the car, I've tried castrol synthetic in the past but I really noticed a difference in the engine with the synthetic, engine was noisier, etc. so I just stuck with pennzoil. Is there a synthetic anyone else recommends?

Thanks again for all the useful help!

ok so i did it for a 3 weeks. drive like an old lady and you will get almost 382 out of it till the light goes on. drive a little spirited and you get a little under 298. drive so u can hear your cia and make car alarms go off and 246 is what i get. problem solved. if you get 250 mpg, get new feet.

Replace pcv valve and run sea foam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast