The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Humming noise on freeway "wheel bearings?"

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Humming noise on freeway "wheel bearings?"

Tranny, EGR and CEL issues are pretty much buried.... now another issue!

The noise I hear is when the car is going straight after 40MPH and also turning towards the left on the freeway. When I turn to the right the noise is gone. I hear it only on the freeway and not around town. IT's definitely something with axles or wheel hubs because I coasted in neutral on a decline and the sound was still there. I'm used to hearing wheel bearings giving out that distinctive louder WAH WAH WAH sound when they are going bad. My 7G sounds more like a fridgerator humming, and louder as I go faster.

Would CV joints sound like this? since it's only straight and turning left?

I'm running out of funds with this car I don't wanna know it's the axles. Wheel bearings I read are fairly easy to change.

94 LS automatic 134K

Thanks

Sounds like wheel bearing.

Yeah if you can shift the weight of your car and the noise comes and goes, its most likely a wheel bearing. If its gets louder when shifting the weight to one side, then silent when shifting it to the other... I'm about 95% its a bearing.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

10-4, I wasn't 100 percent positive because this car is new to me. My other cars always had a different sound. Thanks again