The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fed Spec vs. Cali Spec

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Fed Spec vs. Cali Spec

First Post! Long time Reader. Let's hope all goes well.
    First off I'd like to say I used that lovely search button and came up with this thread:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=cali+spec+v6

That thread shows the differences between the two.
    And also this thread:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...cali+spec+mods

That shows what would most likely need to be switched out to turn a cali spec 8G into a fed spec. Obviously I would simply upgrade the headers and manifold at the same time, but I want to know whether a fed spec ECU is needed or can I simply reflash the one I've got? I realize I'll throw codes if I don't and passing emissions is definitely a must.

SO:
    1. Fed spec ECU or reflash the Cali one
    2. If I can do a reflash where would I go for this? Can I do it myself? Where would I find the files needed if I can do it myself?
    3. If Fed spec ECU is needed, what is the part number?(Google doesn't differentiate if they even have two different part numbers)

Whew! I hope I put enough details .

Oh! I've got a 2002 GTZ w/ Infinity Sound system

I'm sure someone knows or can find these answers! I can't be the only one to think them up.

Experienced TGC Member
    Why are you wanting to do this even?

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I would like to upgrade my complete exhaust while still passing emissions. It seems like changing all the stock parts will cause a code (or more) to pop up, so I'm trying to avoid that
    Correct me if I'm wrong with my logic?

Experienced TGC Member
    That is because the Cali Spec uses 4 O2 sensors. Search Spark Plug Fouler on Google and it will show you how to trick the rear O2 sensors

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I assume the Fed spec uses 3 or 2? I'll ask the people at RPW about how many O2 fittings their Street Design/Race Design Kits have and if they have any other solutions for me. I appreciate your thoughts! I looked up the spark plug fouler and it seems like an interesting solution to some problems. I'm not sure if it's the right solution for me though. I'll keep looking. Any one else is free to add their input also

you might want this:
    http://store.42draftdesigns.com/O2-S...cer_p_306.html

I am running a catless exhaust and works great on my vw which is known for give cel even though you only adding stickers to it ;)

(The angle position will limit your o2 sensor to see the extra flow of gases which will help you to do not get cel)
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

A co-worker of mine has a gti and he'd definitely benefit from this tidbit

If your still wondering how many o2 sensors the Fed Spec has they have 2 o2 sensors well atleast mine does.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey92 View Post
    If your still wondering how many o2 sensors the Fed Spec has they have 2 o2 sensors well atleast mine does.
    on the fed spec v6?

My fed spec V6 has 2 oxygen sensors. One upstream and one downstream.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile