The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Converting to manual or buying a new car?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Converting to manual or buying a new car?

How much time/cost would it take to convert a 8G V6 to manual. I had the 8G since 2000 and bought automatic cause my parents didn't drive stick.. Now, since I'm not living with them, I had this thought in the back of mind that i should've bought manual in the beginning. I want something that i could practice with without breaking it... Would it be cheaper to just buy a used car?

looking at this:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2940893653.html

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    It makes no sense to buy another car just to practice with for the G. Just do the swap & practice. Believe it or not, I learned from watching the fast & furious movies & some how-to vids on YouTube. It sucks at first but once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine. As far as time/cost of the swap, there's already a how-to thread for the V6 you just have to search for it.

Sent from my rooted 3VO using Tapatalk.
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

i did my v6 swap for $1000, i did my i4 swap for $400 lol, so it varies depending on where u get the parts from

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    i did my v6 swap for $1000, i did my i4 swap for $400 lol, so it varies depending on where u get the parts from
    I'm assuming you did the labor on your own.. How long did it take you on the V6 swap?

yeah i did my own labor, took me 5 hours total without a lift

that is neon anyway you posted

but it all depends if you do the labor yourself and how lucky you get with parts

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

It isnt to bad to do it really,it is just time consuming.Everyone that has converted has said it is the best mod that they have done.I would deffinantly convert it especially if you still have a passion for your galant.

What kolio said and think about It

1: You buy a stick car to practice (that riceboy eclipse)
    2: then you get good at it
    3: Then you sell the rice whip for gain or loss
    4: buy a tranny do the work yourself
    5: enjoy

OORRRR

JUST SWAP THE G SAVE MONEY BY PUTTING A NEW CLUTCH IN UPON INSTALLATION
    DRIVING STICK ISNT HARD UNLESS YOU HAVE ONE LEG

You will love your car

Good luck with your build
    Last edited by master_visionary; 04-17-2012 at 10:51 AM
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

bout a thousand. and depends on how good of a worker you are and how prepared you are. took me a few weeks cause i didnt have all the parts.

btw galants never came with manual...

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    bout a thousand. and depends on how good of a worker you are and how prepared you are. took me a few weeks cause i didnt have all the parts.

btw galants never came with manual...
    correction, they did. besides JDM or EDM ones

in 1999 there were very few usdm 8G's offered in manual.

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    correction, they did. besides JDM or EDM ones

in 1999 there were very few usdm 8G's offered in manual.
    yeah and no one here has ever seen one and we been here a long time.

its like a TGC urban legend lol
    Last edited by Dominicano; 04-17-2012 at 12:14 PM

Lol urban legend

Come to think of I never saw one ..huh

What tranny do 8G swap with?

EDIT: STUPID QUESTION DONT ANSWER :-X
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

You want to learn how to drive stick? Ask a buddy to borrow his car to learn. That or find a certain driving instructor who specifically teaches manual.
    13 Honda Accord EX 6MT

400 plus parts? or just 400. all the other conversions here ran about 1300. i feel like buying a manual too for the summer but that means i have to sell the g. i dont want to pay to park it. and i love my g. since i got it for 1400 i will prolly make a profit but still its a beautiful car. decisions decisions
    Last edited by specter6633; 04-17-2012 at 02:11 PM

actually, i call that urban legend....I have personally seen a 99 DE with a 5spd stock before we even started doing all the swaps

and that was 400 total...$200 for the transmission and $200 for everything else, that said setup is now owned by Deeznuts...still going strong

i want to make mine manual but its very hard to comebuy a 5spd that fits here where i am and if i ware to buy one of ebay i could just aswell double the cost of it so for me to think about doing a 5spd is to have at least 2500$ at the ready
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

actually, i call that urban legend....I have personally seen a 99 DE with a 5spd stock before we even started doing all the swaps

and that was 400 total...$200 for the transmission and $200 for everything else, that said setup is now owned by Deeznuts...still going strong
    thats how i know of them. and i have seen one online before somewhere. it was in some ancient post on a dealer lot brand new