The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Potr

Timing Belt

Anyone In South Fla know how to change a Timing belt mines slipping it hasnt been changed in 50k miles and i dont want to pay 400 dollars if i dont have to... Its an 01 if that helps...

Faction
    i'm trying to find out myself, but get prepared to scratch your head and let someone with experience do it

first....timing belts do not just "slip". If yours DID slip, your car wouldnt run, and youde have major engine damage.
    second, if you try to do it yourself, i can say with nearly 100 percent accuracty that you WILL destroy it.
    it is NOT easy, it is NOT simple, and you would be well advised to pay the very small sum of 400 bucks when you compare it to the 3000 you will pay if you damage it.

Potr
    Well if it aint the timing belt slipping then its the Tranny... that will be a shii load more to replace then just the belt...

Um more than likely.
    STEPHEN
    2000 GMC K2500 4x4
    2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4

Faction
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>first....timing belts do not just "slip". Â*If yours DID slip, your car wouldnt run, and youde have major engine damage.
    second, if you try to do it yourself, i can say with nearly 100 percent accuracty that you WILL destroy it.
    it is NOT easy, it is NOT simple, and you would be well advised to pay the very small sum of 400 bucks when you compare it to the 3000 you will pay if you damage it.</div>

its not hard when my dad has experience on timing belts from dohc toyotas to sohc volvos, he's been replacing timing belts on every owned car from maximas to monteros.

Potr
    Well hopefully it wasnt any of that... i put STP fual injector cleaner in this morning and so far no studder during acceleration... hopefully it was just carbon build up on injectors or the throttle plate...

Xska55
    hope some one can help me,,im not sure if its my timing belt but its making all sorts of scary soundsthe car isnt mis firing but it sounds terrible
    just happened also i was on the highway and accelerating upto 4000rpms
    and didnt want to shift and then the service light came on b4 hand it also seemed like it it was accelrating as well as it usually does,,, its also stalling out with oil light keeps flashing on and off at idle,,,, also this in one day,,, does any body know if this sounds like the timing belt,,,

Senior TGC Member
    Unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing, I'd let the pros handle it. I have an insider at the dealership that does all of my work for free so it doesn't hurt me, but I watched him replace the belt on a 4g63 engine...it took him a little under 28 minutes but it looks mad scary.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison