The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So there's a funny noise coming from my motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

So there's a funny noise coming from my motor

So I have a noise coming from my motor now, it's coming from the head and sounds like something in the valvetrain. I'm 95% sure it's not rod knock because I've heard it before and this does not sound like it. It's a very loud tapping noise that appears once the car reaches 2800 RPM under medium load, it will disappear under light throttle or full throttle. I don't think it's my lifters because I replaced them a year ago and it's not your standard tick. The car pulls the same and drives fine although the idle will now range from 1000 to 750rpm, not constantly, but it changes. I'm assuming it's something in the valvetrain, any ideas? The noise is a knocking noise but it is not constant nore is it loud like rod knock, and it happened all of a sudden, not something that's been developing over time.

THanks guys,

Martin
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

I have this same noise and it's coming from one of the gaskets from the spacers for the turbo manifold. Check your exhaust manifold and make sure it is not leaking through a gasket. Every thing you mentioned is the same thing that's going on with babyG.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Thanks jigz ill give it a shot

So I replaced the gasket, no dice, took a stethoscope to the motor and the ticking is coming from the head, I ordered some lifters and am gonna replace all of them.

That's prob your problem the 4g64 lifters suck ass mine were ticking when I first got my silver g I changed the oil with amsoil 5w30 the ticking dissaperared instantly haven't given me a prob since. What weight oil are you using?

^^^ THIS.

I'm using Amsoil also. I changed it to 0W-30 for the winter. No problems no lifter click on idle. Smooth. Changing back to 5w-30 on the summer. AMSOIL i could say great oil. A year now, I have nothing bad to say about it.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 04-20-2012 at 04:25 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

I'm using 5w30 year round, I replaced my lifters not too long ago but the car has been seeing redline a lot so that's probably it, one of them has likely collapsed.

Dont matter is is seeing red line. How bad is the tick. Did you tune the car? If you 5 speed you have to tune the car since now you are going above 3500 RPM. The computer is not tune for manual trani or seeing timing that advance.

Try using another oil. see if it helps.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I'm using 5w30 year round, I replaced my lifters not too long ago but the car has been seeing redline a lot so that's probably it, one of them has likely collapsed.
    Just change out the bad one and save the rest most likely it's going to happen again.

I am 5spd, I have not had it tuned though.

I have been using 10w30 penzoil in the summer, no ticking here on a 80k+ miles on original tickers. Also I had crazy tick on the 278k galant until I changed the oil to penzoil. No ticking after she's warm.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    I have been using 10w30 penzoil in the summer, no ticking here on a 80k+ miles on original tickers. Also I had crazy tick on the 278k galant until I changed the oil to penzoil. No ticking after she's warm.
    Shouldn't tick at all Keith you might want to conciter changing them or at least the bad ones. Also start using 5w30 your going to get better flow and the ticking might stop completely.

On another note has anyone been burning oil I noticed that when they do start to tick i burn oil?
    Last edited by deeznutz; 04-20-2012 at 07:15 PM

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I am 5spd, I have not had it tuned though.
    It shouldn't be a tuning issue but you should at least run some 5speed eclipse maps it will help with fuel econ quicker acceleration and such.

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Shouldn't tick at all Keith you might want to conciter changing them or at least the bad ones. Also start using 5w30 your going to get better flow and the ticking might stop completely.

On another note has anyone been burning oil I noticed that when they do start to tick i burn oil?
    I have tthe nastiest tick and no burning oil.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

^ I bet its not as bad as mine.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 04-21-2012 at 01:00 AM

Mine didn't burn oil @ 100K when my first lifter tick got bad, I replaced them and it went away, 4Gxx motor lifters are notoriously bad for ticking and wearing out quickly though, so I'm not surprised.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    I run 10w-30. I encountered a tick like this last summer after i slacked on the oil change interval. It was a lifter and I got it to go away by doin an oil change after driving the care around all morning and not letting it sit. Must have thinned out whatever got in there enough to get it out. If that didn't work I would have taken the lifters out and cleaned them all. No need to order new ones every time.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Ok, so good news and bad news, I found the culprit, it was a collapsed lifter that was just in terrible shape, so I replaced all the lifters while I was at it. Not more of the horrendous loud ticking but now I have quiet lifter tick at all RPMs. I soaked my new lifters in oil before putting them in, just like I did last time I replaced them and I had no problems then, should I just drive it some more and let them break in? I did some reading on DSM forums and some suggest bleeding the air out of them while others dont. Any thoughts guys?

I was taught to bleed them but opinions vary... If I'm not mistaken the fsm says to bleed them.

so I just submerge them in oil and pump them for a while?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast