The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So there's a funny noise coming from my motor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    I'm always learning on here this is helping me too thanks

My 7G did the Exact same thing as the first post right at 2500 it starts but by 2650 its gone and it does it going up or down through the revs.

Does anyone have any idea what that is to bring up one of the first questions. If it was a collapsed lifter wouldn't the tick be constant? To me I felt like valvetrain was slipping in that window of 2500>2650 or 2650>2500 . As some of y'all know my timing belt snapped recently and destroyed my engine.
    Thanks. Joe
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

I thought it would, and the more I drove it with the collapsed lifter the more I could hear it throughout the RPM range.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    so I just submerge them in oil and pump them for a while?
    Yes but you need the right size probe to stick in the lifter or you risk messing it up refer to the fsm on size. If you dont have the fsm I'll look it up for you.

New problem guys, replaced all the lifters, bled them according to the FSM, and I have HOrrific lifter tick. It's not rod knock or anything else because I dropped the pan and it was fine, no shavings or anything. Oil is AMSoil 5w30 with an amsoil filter so that's not the issue. The lifters were rock hard when I put them in, I've taken them out to inspect them and they are completely soft, now I know the lifters aren't supposed to be rock hard after being run but I know they should have @ least some oil in them. For whatever reason oil isn't getting to them. Oil pressure is within specs, oil pump is good, no leaks, I'm stumped. Car runs great but the lifter tick is unbelievable.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newb...ter-noise.html what about thw revised lifters mentioned?

^^ 3g lifter= 3g eclipse = 8G galant SAME THING.

We use the 3g lifters in our 8G. They make a revise lifter for the evos and v6 but it dont fit our 4cly SOHC.

Best way is to get the right oil. and flush your oil time to time.

greddy--- something is wrong with the noise. Double check the lifter and bleed them again. With the AmsOil you have to drive for a few miles so the oil could get them hot and wet "thats what she said". Also new lifter needs some few miles of highway driving so they could settle and break in.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 05-01-2012 at 04:36 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it would be the same

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    New problem guys, replaced all the lifters, bled them according to the FSM, and I have HOrrific lifter tick. It's not rod knock or anything else because I dropped the pan and it was fine, no shavings or anything. Oil is AMSoil 5w30 with an amsoil filter so that's not the issue. The lifters were rock hard when I put them in, I've taken them out to inspect them and they are completely soft, now I know the lifters aren't supposed to be rock hard after being run but I know they should have @ least some oil in them. For whatever reason oil isn't getting to them. Oil pressure is within specs, oil pump is good, no leaks, I'm stumped. Car runs great but the lifter tick is unbelievable.
    There's a procedure to prime the new ones. Rev to 3k for a couple minutes and then idle for a couple minutes back and forth like that for a certain period of time. Did u do that??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

yep, I figured it out, one of my rockers was messed up, we're good to go.

Good that you fixed the problem.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Congrats on the solution

How did u figure it out?? Just curious to know.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I cleaned them all thoroughly and noticed that one was cracking and that the roller had a flat spot in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12