The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Automatic in limp mode

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Automatic in limp mode

Hi I have a 99 galant that has gone into limp mode. my Auto sparky did a scan and the engine ecu is fine but there is a connection error when he tries to scan the tcu. can anyone tell me where the TCU actually is .The car stays in 3rd , also the reversing lights don't go ( havn't checked the bulbs) There is no indication on the dash what gear its in. The car is just a plain old 2 litre not many cams model!! I suspect the TCU is really grumpy with the Auto and also the diagnostic plug

First of all welcome to TGC!

Secondly, I believe the TCU/PCM is built in to the ECU on 99+ models. The car has gone into limp mode because a fuse blew, which is why you don't have reverse lights, check and replace the fuse erase the code and go for a drive.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 04-21-2012 at 02:41 AM

thanks for that ............erase the code how do I do that?

With that scanner if it doesn't do that, just unplug the negative battery terminal for 5-10 mins.

WOOHOO thanks very much I changed the blown fuse and away she went...I have a very happy wife now. I better cancel the auto-electrician ,

^ Glad I could be of help.

Limp mode issues have been covered over and over on this board, had you searched you would have found the answer

But this is the welcome section and I was not about to flame the new guy on his new member thread. Again glad you got this working because it can be a huge pain in the ass. I hope you stick around and enjoy the site, this is a great community with alot of people who care and want to help.

Welcome;)

Sent from the best iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TGC!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

I googled the problem and found a number of forums around the net that searches came up with nothing that helped ......until finally I found this one and the rest is history. I have had a few Mitsis . 2 GTOs (3000GT) . An old Galant , this 99 Galant and I still have a Pajero ( Montero in some countries).I have an outlandish plan to put a Lexus V8 in the Pajero ......seen it done and its amazing but thats for another forum. As for the 99 we got a good deal and hope it gives us trouble free motoring