The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: water under carpet..under passenger front

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

water under carpet..under passenger front..updated 5/6/12

Okay when I was putting my rear seat in, I was cleaning out crap and I noticed under my passenger seat where the carpet splits, underneath the carpet is wet. Specifically where this little square is cut out in it for this small hump to protrude through. In the middle of the hump is a hole with a plastic threaded insert, and nothing screwed in it.

Now the under the drivers seat I didn't see anything wet. When I had the back seat out, I didn't see anything wet. I felt under the carpet around the dash on the passenger side...nothing, I even tried to feel under that rubber insulation the best I could and still nothing.

Ill take a pic tomorrow to show the exact area. It looks to be water and not coolant because it shows clear on my finger and on a paper towel, and has no smell. I have no idea how long ita been there and I haven't used my a/c since last summer.

Any ideas before I can get pics? Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 05-06-2012 at 08:24 PM

Either your AC condensation drain is clogged or the seal of the black rubber nipple behind the motor mount is worn out... I had the same issue but my drain was not clogged..fixed it by reapplying sealant

Here's an eclipse 3g video which had a similar problem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1t8QxK1054
    Last edited by DrunKenG; 04-30-2012 at 08:19 PM

Oh.. i read the last part about not using the A/C....I using mine right now...Where do you live?

In VA..but I'm unreasonable about it. It has to be almoat 90 before I give in. I love having the wind blow past me with my music loud lol, and hear my exhauat more. Thanks for the response. My question is, is the drain tube for us on the passenger side. And like I said it seems to be under the passenger seat but more towards the back of the car. I don't recall feeling any in the front under the dash. I would think the water trail would atleast have to start there?
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 04-30-2012 at 11:15 PM

Alright under closer examination, I drive with the a/c on this weekend and was cleaning trash out the car when I noticed the front passenger side of the carpet was wet. So I pull off the door sill and lift the carpet back towards the console, and it was moisture city. So it is starting under the dash, and seems to still be just water.

So my question is how do I locate the hose under the hood..and when I do, I just blow compressed air and hope what ever clogged it in the first place blows on to the floor?

Also any ways to prevent it from happening again. Something like a cented cap would be nice, or even thought about a plastic 90 degree pipe if could find the right size, and turn it to the side so water could drain but nothing could blow directlly in.

Also I read a thread and someone said you could supposedly clean it out from inside the car. Any ideas, am I going to have to take the whole underside of the dash apart smh lol.

I took the whole dash apart but you can never reach the area thats clogged with your hand. The drain is on the driver side firewall but the pan that collects the water is on the passenger side.

I would say just blow out the tube and hope that the debris does not clog it up again

Ok gotcha..so I just blow the air into the drain on the firewall? Now what about any trapped water. Does it come running out rinsing the debris with it, or will I be blowing it back into the car along with the debris lol?

Besides having to take the back seat out for the rear struts and speakers, this is officially my 2nd pet peeve of owning a galant in a years time lol.

I had to run the air tube inside the black nub.. If nothing comes out, then try proxy seal around the black nub...or do a 90 degree pipe.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    also if the foam around the evap drain is deteriorated it'll leak back into cabin; i bought a Lancer evap drain nub slides right over it and covers the hole and drains it away from the cabin

The water will come out the tube. The debris, probably half gets blown back in, half comes rinsing out.

Alright, thanks guys

Okay tryna get a clear aim at the drain tube is a PITA..so I think I might wanna try from the inside by removing the hvac plenum. Anyone know how to do thay method on an 02. I have my radio trim out already and my glove box aswell, but don't know where to look or start from there.

Thanks