The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo thoughts a preamble to a plan.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Turbo thoughts a preamble to a plan.

First, I have a i4 8g obviously. But after much thought and research:

I want to go with the turbo from. Saab 9-5 viggen. As its a mitsubishi turbo tdo4h but with unique compressor wheel that works ona 2.5 l saab 4 cylinder engine. Yes I might have to have manifold adapter I think fuelling should be fine. But after reading on how saab get so much out of there turbo cars acceleration wise, I'm thinkin about if I should change the galant tranny ratios to match saab or if the whole invecs thing make that a problem, also does the saab ecu really do all the crunch work that makes the viggen fast, alsop I could use the turbo off of a evo or a dodge neon stx all mitsu turbo each a bit diff. All three of these cars at one point of another held record for the most power per displacement of an engine. Any thought?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Ill assume you're getting it for free or local junkyard has it. The problem is the these turbos are either t3 or t25 flanged (they look very similar). If it t3 then you may be able to find a manifold for it(ebay one most likely), if it t25 flange then forget about it.

Your best and cheapest bet is DSM turbo and manifold. Look for these in your local Craigslist (im sure there're bunch of DSMres near you). Get yourself a nice 14b or even 16g with 2g manifold, a manifold spacer and extended exhaust studs. Then you need to do the welding for the exhaust and putting a 10an or 12 an fitting on the oil pan.

This is to get you started.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Sounds good, I know its the usual way to do it for the 8 gs. But I really wnat the turbo and transmission to match for hella sporty tune. I'm not worried about top end over what's stock on the 8g. And I know its creating more word I'm studying the invecs 2 now and will look into saabs later

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    Sounds good, I know its the usual way to do it for the 8 gs. But I really wnat the turbo and transmission to match for hella sporty tune. I'm not worried about top end over what's stock on the 8g. And I know its creating more word I'm studying the invecs 2 now and will look into saabs later

Why not just do a 5 speed swap?That would probably be the best way to go.

Transmission has nothing to do with turboing the motor (besides breaking).

Build Thread

Well I would want the motor and trans to move with each other and but perhaps the program in invecs just moves with the sensors no matter what the engine is doing so it might be fine. But readup on the 9-5 viggen and how they tuned it to get its acceleration

I dont understand what you mean. Trans is always moving with the engine. Doo not read Saab forums unless you own a Saab. IDK of anyone reprogramming the shift points of an 8g, if this is what you mean. Force induction is meant to make more power, that power is transferred by the crank and thru the transmission to the wheels. Simple as this.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    I dont understand what you mean. Trans is always moving with the engine. Doo not read Saab forums unless you own a Saab. IDK of anyone reprogramming the shift points of an 8g, if this is what you mean. Force induction is meant to make more power, that power is transferred by the crank and thru the transmission to the wheels. Simple as this.
    Yeah i dont get it either,i think that might be what he means.I am kind of confused about what he means though.It doesnt make much sense.

Ok here the point saab is rare in that they have front wheel drive turbo charged automatics. Seeing as I would likely keep my auto I'm looking into how they work the power with associated increase in rev time brought by boost. Most people on here say they messed up the auto after going boosted. I think iTs because while yes the auto may not be speced for the added torque I think the wear comes at the velocity at which the new shifts come in. Also it the fact that with the added power more wheel spin occurs due to ratio slippage. Its just something not usually addressed. So I wanna find out gear ratios or get a torque curve of a saab to set to 8 g and see hot they match up. As a engineering major it seems the power increase has to accounted for or the torque increase accounted for. ill ask a professor that specializes in automotive applications Tom and see if I'm completely off base.

Here's what I could find quickly,
    http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/tur...ans-240sx.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2816/article.html

And another auto speed link has this bit about the ford ecoboost twin turbo.

Additionally, the 6F-55 transmission operates more efficiently. The transmission team was able to reduce the fluid level in the transmission, which in turn reduced weight and drag torque on the system. Upgrades to the transmission’s thermal valve mean the system warms up quicker, reducing gear-spin losses.

“We’ve upgraded the gear sets to handle the increased torque,” said Joe Baum, powertrain team leader. “We’ve also adjusted the final drive ratio and matched the gear ratios to provide the optimum performance and fuel economy.

“Our final drive ratio is 2.73. With a lower final drive ratio, the engine spins lower at highway speeds, which helps save fuel. And with all the torque, the Ford Flex still delivers good low-speed launch performance.”

I'm also an engineering major and I'm also confused
    As far as gear ratios and the final drive go, unless you have access to a CNC machine, you are fairly limited, in theory (and I stress theory here, I really don't want to dig up my Dynamics notes right now), you could redesign some of the hydraulics from older gen Mitsu's (7+6g Galants, 1+2 gen Eclipses) so the transmission is always running backwards (assuming that they have better gear ratios than you 4 speed to justify this) in relative to how they normally do (the placement of the transmission switched from the passenger's side to the driver's side from the 7g to 8g's), but I have to ask, is it worth the effort? I do stand with vr34 here, you are better off with converting to a manual for better gear ratios, or hell, a high stall torque converter would do fine as well for better off the line, but when it comes down to making a high performance auto trans the shift SPEED is one thing I think you were talking about. modifying the automatic transmissions isn't remotely cheap, I can buy some very nice parts for my engine for that price, but if you have the money and if this is what you really want, more power to you
    However 'rev time' here is nearly irrelevant, more power you push, faster you go through the gears simply it is just that, also if I'm mistake, if you increase the amount of time in each gear (let's say rev limit is held constant for each gear set), this translates into less torque and slower acceleration. Meanwhile if your rev limit is just set higher (which is set by the ECU and this value can be changed via a reflash), you can spend more time in each of the stock auto's gear without needing longer gearing, and as a generally added bonus, more power could be possible
    Last edited by foxbrand; 05-02-2012 at 12:17 PM
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge

Well that's what I mean, so there would probably need to be a reflash and possibly upgrade of the torque converter. I think in gen most the guys 5 speed swap it or just run it til the auto overheats from the added power. Very good points and I think that's what was being done in articles. I had just not seen this thought process on the forum with regard to keeping the at most prefer the swap . Good info

Or if anyone knows it could also be that an ecu swap takes care of that or the invecs system can control that.

Thanks guys glad that yall posted on this topic I think I should just watch my trans temps and ecu should be able figure it out if not then a ecu swap will, which I would need anyway for knock control.

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    Thanks guys glad that yall posted on this topic I think I should just watch my trans temps and ecu should be able figure it out if not then a ecu swap will, which I would need anyway for knock control.

Maybe add a transmission cooler or something,that would keep it cool.