The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: help, rough idle in drive....

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

help, rough idle in drive....

my 4 cyl 2.4 ha a rough idle in drive when i am stopped, it kinda sputters and the rpms drop to like 650. It seems random and in no steady interval, some times i can sit at a light for minutes with nothing other times it just keeps repeating over and over. When i get over about 1200 rpm it runs fine, and doesnt really do it in neutral. any ideas?

i hooked a snap-on scanner up to my car and watched the systems as i drove, no codes popped up, and everything seemed to look good. the engine rpms and the crank sensor rpms didnt match up perfectly but they were close. not sure if that has anything to do with it but i dont think so considering there was a larger variation in higher rpms and that is when i dont notice any problems. the only thing is when i tried to use the scanner to reset base idle the car stalls out

When was the last time you had a tune up?
    It could be:
    -Dirty MAF sensor
    -Carbon deposits on thorttle body and intake manifold
    -May need new spark plugs
    -May need some fuel injector cleaner added to the gas tank
    -The IAC may be bad
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Sounds like it could be a coil pack going out or even more notorious is the oil in the spark plug tube which causes the spark to jump/ground out before the electrode inside the chamber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would usually throw the misfire code though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Just as quick check and look very closley and the iac and the wires that go to the connector, if the problem is worse on colder morning and not as bad on hot days its prob and iac wire I had wires break jsut due to age. Search iac fix and I think I posted how I fixed . If its the problem you are having.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

had no codes but changed coil packs and plugs, didn't help. no damage to wires that i could see, probed with a multimeter and all looks good. temp doesn't make a noticeable difference. cleaned throttle body, helped a little. already had injector cleaner, didn't help. will check the sensors and get back to you. Thanks

now the only thing that has really changed is it seems i am idleing high in neutral, around 1100 rpms........... don't know if that is normal but it seems high for what it used to be