The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I made my own CIA for $55. 3.8L/Auto (Looks factory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

I made my own CIA for $55. 3.8L/Auto (Looks factory)

I was pissed at how much the aftermarket intakes cost so I made my own. All parts could be found at Autozone.

$25
    Spectre air filter #8138

$20
    3" Spectre black flexible tubing #8741
    Comes with 2 silicone couplers. I had extra 3" stainless steel worm clamps
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

$10
    Spectre 3" OD 4" long tube #8708 (I painted mine satin black)

I had to hack off the stock air box after the MAF sensor. To get as much as I could I cut is as close to the box as possible. Once cut I had at least a 1/2", but it wasn't round. I pulled out my torch and heated up the plastic and molded it round. then I was able to sand it down smoothly and shove it in the "3 OD tube. Then connected the flexible tubing and snaked it down exactly like the aftermarket systems do by the fog light. I made some mounting brackets for the air filter and I was done! I didn't take a pic of that though. No engine lights or nothing! I have a noticeable increase in throttle response and low end torque. I gained a few MPGs also!

Oh yea, I took off that baffle on the factory rubber tube and used a piece of plastic I cut and glued it to the hole and wrapped it in black electrical tape. No the tape doesn't get all sticky and nasty. It looks legit. I'm picky.
    Last edited by HotWhip402; 05-04-2012 at 07:07 PM

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    In Before The Flame :D

Do us a favor and report back in mid summer ;-) Im curious to see how that piping holds up.
    Last edited by carl3g; 05-04-2012 at 07:28 PM
    13 Honda Accord EX 6MT

More power to you, not my cup of tea though. I like the way the stock one looks more, less ridges to hamper airflow:

Just my own opinion though, as long as it makes you happy, who cares.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

what you never heard of ebay or something?

Hey man you from Omaha?
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    what flame??

to the OP. looks like a great start. how is all the piping being supported?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Wow look at that empty void where the old air box was.

Great start till you deside to dress up the engine bay.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

I think its very creative

No bad, just curious though, why not use smooth pipping?

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    Do us a favor and report back in mid summer ;-) Im curious to see how that piping holds up.
    I've had it this way for over a year. That piping is actually a really strong plastic. It's away from anything hot anyways. I was bored and decided to join here and be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    More power to you, not my cup of tea though. I like the way the stock one looks more, less ridges to hamper airflow:

Just my own opinion though, as long as it makes you happy, who cares.
    I'm happy. I do like the stock look, but see that little slit in the metal? That's where most of your air comes from. It goes through the grill and up through that. The hood and bumper are basically sealed with that weatherstripping. The car is breathing through a straw IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    what you never heard of ebay or something?
    Yea, and they are like $225 at the cheapest. From what I've read on here, only the CAI from the 4th gen V6 AUTOMATIC Eclipse will fit properly. I've seen a real cheap CAI for a MANUAL for $75 with a crappy filter.

Quote Originally Posted by master_visionary View Post
    Hey man you from Omaha?
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    what flame??

to the OP. looks like a great start. how is all the piping being supported?
    Thanks. The piping is strong enough on its own and light weight. It has just enough room to fit through some opening. Its supported by the the filter that is stable with the brackets I used.

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    Wow look at that empty void where the old air box was.

Great start till you deside to dress up the engine bay.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Yea, but it's my daily driver. I could make a nice shield to put underneath and hide the transmission, but no thanks. What's the difference if I had bought a shiny metal CIA? Nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by G-code88 View Post
    I think its very creative
    Thank you. I try.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Not bad, just curious though, why not use smooth pipping?
    Good question. For one, they don't make smooth flexible piping that I know of. At least not cheaply if they do I'm sure. I also didn't want to buy a bunch of plastic chrome piping sections for like $10 a piece and try to make it snake the way I needed it to. It would cost more and look really tacky. My goal was to make it look basically stock and functional and that's exactly what the tube I got does. The LITTLE difference smooth piping would make was negligible to me.

And for those who think I don't care about looks. I did that on purpose for my Galant. Like I said. Cheap, functional and stockish looking. It's my daily driver. I keep it simple. It's got some decent 19" wheels and a killer audio system. It serves its purpose well. I love it.

This is my other car....a real toy.

My Trans Am gets all my car money obviously. It has a 402ci motor pushing 540 HP to the rear wheels. 6 speed FTW.

Nice. A cheap and almost free alternative way is keeping the stock box but cut a hole at the pipe that connected to the air box.
    Probably when it not raining maybe i will take a pic of my custom cold air short ram.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWhip402 View Post
    And for those who think I don't care about looks. I did that on purpose for my Galant. Like I said. Cheap, functional and stockish looking. It's my daily driver. I keep it simple. It's got some decent 19" wheels and a killer audio system. It serves its purpose well. I love it.

This is my other car....a real toy.

My Trans Am gets all my car money obviously. It has a 402ci motor pushing 540 HP to the rear wheels. 6 speed FTW.
    Holy shit. Slick looking Trans Am. What's done, engine wise?

-Chris-

From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Holy shit. Slick looking Trans Am. What's done, engine wise?
    Thanks. Well its a LS2 based 402, all aluminum. 6.6 liters naturally aspirated. It has all the expensive goodies. Put this in perspective, the intake (painted silver) and throttle body cost $1300. The 1 7/8" stainless steel headers are $1100. You don't even want to know what the forged short block and heads cost. That clear lid cost as much as a CAI for our cars, and I don't mean the $55 one I made. It has a pretty mean cam, but completely streetable. I built the motor back in 2007 with all the best parts out their at the time. Now they have better stuff I'd like to upgrade in the future.

A stroked LS2, sweet.

Ever taken it to the track?

-Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by HotWhip402 View Post
    I'm happy. I do like the stock look, but see that little slit in the metal? That's where most of your air comes from. It goes through the grill and up through that. The hood and bumper are basically sealed with that weatherstripping. The car is breathing through a straw IMO.
    I see. My thin tube was missing from mine when I bought my car, so I haven't missed it:

And the electrical tape over the hole left by the resonator, I did that too (not by choice though, my resonator fell off):

Now about this Trans-Am, there's a thread in the Other Vehicles forum here about domestics, started by Skyforger IIRC, go there and post moar pics and specs, because it's rather dope.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Nice job, if you go get a manometer of magnehelic gauge you can site the intake at a better lower pressure but goof job sir. I had a cai but it broke so I took a v6 airbox and put that in. Cai intake get tooo dirty for my tastes so I went to bigger stock one

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

A stroked LS2, sweet.

Ever taken it to the track?
    Once. The rear end is stock right now and weak. I babied it off the line. Still managed a 11.4 at 122. I was kicked out afterwards because I needed a cage to run it again that fast. LOL Other cars with my power with a proper rear end and slicks run in the 10's. Can run 9's on spray! My goal one day. My car does have a 6 pt cage, racing seats, harnesses and it is mini tubed for some fat slicks now. I'm half way there!

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Now about this Trans-Am, there's a thread in the Other Vehicles forum here about domestics, started by Skyforger IIRC, go there and post moar pics and specs, because it's rather dope.
    I couldn't find said thread.

-Chris-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast