The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AWD CONVERSION. Ideas?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Icon5 AWD CONVERSION. Brainstorming.

hey I've got a '99 GT-Z and I want to go AWD. Now I know what you're all thinking, more effort than it's worth, but I have my reasons ;) .
    I have four questions.
    1) I know I need a Rear-subframe, driveshaft, AWD transmission and Different gas tank (I believe correct me if i'm wrong.), but is there anything else I need to do the swap?
    2) For the swap, what car would be best for the parts to come from? (i.e. evolution [which gen?] , vr4, etc.)
    3) Once the conversion is done, what will I need to do tune wise? Would it be a good idea to swap in the EVO motor and just get an EVO harness and ecu?
    4) ANYTHING else I need material wise or anything to know in general?
    Thanks guys!
    Happy DSM'ing
    Last edited by Zseme39; 05-08-2012 at 05:55 PM Reason: Didn't like title.

Just letting you know, the evo motor won't drop in in a GTZ cause they're v6.

I know that, that's why I'd be getting the EVO tranny with it since that's and AWD Tranny and I can have custom mounts made.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzm4n View Post
    Just letting you know, the evo motor won't drop in in a GTZ cause they're v6.
    Actually it is just a matter of changing the front sumframe, cluster and a few other things. Go look at Deeznutz original build be went from 4 to 6 so a 6 to 4 will work also.

Unless you are truly that dedicated with the amount of money you would dump into just save up and buy and evo or something AWD

Other Idea, would an add system out of a 3000 gt VR-4 work?

but those are all for Eclipses????
    Would I be able to use the SAME process on my GT-Z?

Quote Originally Posted by Zseme39 View Post
    Other Idea, would an add system out of a 3000 gt VR-4 work?
    No it will not

but those are all for Eclipses????
    Would I be able to use the SAME process on my GT-Z?
    Yes the eclipse and the galant are the same chassis one is 2 door and on is 4 door. The eclipse was built off the galant also

Search search search search.... That's all I'm going to say.I just finished my awd conversion, and now am moving onto the engine, and let me tell you, there its alot more to it then you think. Serious cash flow is involved.. And that's with me doing all the work

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

What all did you do though?

and to mrg, so I could basically just get a 90's Eclipse GSX and bring the entire thing over?

P.S.
    i have essentially an army of minions to assist me. most of which know their way around a car like clockwork.. just never done a drivetrain conversion.. yet.

What all did you do though?

and to mrg, so I could basically just get a 90's Eclipse GSX and bring the entire thing over?
    95 gsx on...
    You really want a list? I can tell you I'm not going to tell you everything, but the general stuff I will. Evo 8 tranny, tcase, diff, front knuckles and hubs, front axles, rear gsx knuckles, rear evo hubs, 2g awd rear subframe. And a ton more of odds and ends
    P.S.
    i have essentially an army of minions to assist me. most of which know their way around a car like clockwork.. just never done a drivetrain conversion.. yet.
    That's cool, more people to mess stuff up.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member
    You need parts from a 2nd GEN GSX

V6 you need a custom bell housing made to adapt the Evo T-Case, custom piece...highly expensive unless you cut a corner and have the bell housing welded to make a "conversion" item.

Sub frame needs to be modified or a custom tubular one made to clear T-Case and driveshaft. More money

Rear subframe, gas tank...list goes on and the V6 is by far going to be the most expensive platform to make AWD compared to the 4cyl.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

my my members have become generous with the spoon lately lolol

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige