The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: powering a sub

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

powering a sub

i was wondering what is the largest size amp i can use without damaging my alternator or causing my lights to dim and fade out. thanks in advance.

Depends what kind of subs/speakers you are trying to run.

You can also upgrade to a larger battery, larger wire gauge for your alternator, and add capacitors.

I had a 2000 watt amp with 2 12" Alpines, plus a 4 Channel running Alpine interior speakers and had 2 capacitors on it... never dimmed or hurt my alternator. Basic battery, never upgraded my alternator wires

Had it like that for a few years.

500 Watts with stock electrical if you try and run more on stock wiring your voltage well become unstable and clip your amp. if you do the big 3 you can run up to 1000 before the voltage becomes funky if you add a sec battery like me most I've ran is 1500 cea rated rms and my voltage stays above 13 at all times. don't do caps they cause more harm then good on weak wiring.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

right now i have dual hifonic brutus speakers. they are 1200 peka watts a piece. i have no clue on sub hook up and amp selection before. so if i upgrade to a bigger battery that will be the easy fix so i dont have to change wires??

ok, thanks so a 500 watt amp at the most without changing any other wires will keep my car electrical system in tact and not over work anything?

You can maybe also try a infiniti speaker set up since It runs on two ohms instead of usual four it won't need at much juice but this I guess can only work with infiniti amp

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

would the speaker specs help???

•12" Dual 4 Ohm Brutus Series Square Subwoofer
    •Power Handling:
    ◦Peak: 1200 watts
    ◦RMS: 600 watts
    •Impedance: 4 Ohm
    •Polypropylene cone
    •Rubber surround
    •Dual flat nomex spider with woven tinsel leads
    •Nickel plated push and insert speaker terminals
    •Heat dispersing ported nickel plated back plate
    •Ultra ridged stamped steel basket
    •High strength ABS motor cover
    •Operates in sealed and ported enclosures
    •Black chrome plated gasket
    •2.5" High-temperature voice coil
    •Double stacked magnet assembly

Like they said 500 is prob fine before my infiniti upgrade I used all four dula illuminite speakers with a 400 amp also by dual for a alumapro sub. Everything works fine and has not taxed my system BUT, I have optima battery, all interior and dash lighting led and hid conversion from the headlight. I always have great voltage but, if at a stop light and bass is all the way up my interioir lights dim but the hids don't. That being said its common for that and idle, and the headlights and ac usually tax the system the most

My duals rear speakers finally broke but I put them in 5 years ago and I think it broke cause the cone material got brittle, it was a type of plastic the door speakers were fine

ok, optima yellow top battery, 500watt amp everything should work fine???? thanks for the help

yea every thing should be fine with that but if you want everything to be butter ground your battery to the strut tower right there beside the battery stock ground point is Shit

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.