The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 V6 Serpentine Belts

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

2003 V6 Serpentine Belts

So I found the following instructions on the forum for changing the serpentine belts in a thread related to the I4... is it the same for the V6?

For the PS/AC belt, the belt tension bolt is on the AC bracket. Loosen the locking nut, then back the tension bolt out to release the belt. Reinstall new belt in reverse order. On the Alt. belt, the tension bolt is on the Alt. bracket. Again, just loosen the locking nut, back out the tension bolt and replace belt.

Mitsubishi wants to charge me $155 to change them, but I also read here the belts should only run me $20 a piece... are they that simple to change (and get to)? I only have my regular factory car jack at the moment, so getting underneath won't be fun, but doable. Any info on where best to get the belts, or better instructions would be greatly appreciated!

'03 Galant LS V6

So really... no one has any clue about this topic? It's not a very uncommon thing, but there were few threads with detailed information. Only 19 views?

'03 Galant LS V6

the belts are pretty straight forward, just find the tensioners, loosen them and change the belts, i beleive 1 is on the power steering and the other is on alternator

Hey, thanks! I'm having an issue finding the correct belts... am I correct to believe the large belt has 6 ribs, while the smaller belt has 4? A little hard to tell on the smaller belt while still on the vehicle.
    Last edited by s4ean; 05-19-2012 at 03:57 PM

'03 Galant LS V6

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    go to rockauto and check out the belts they have for the V6, they won't mess up the part numbers or anything.

Also, the tensioner for the alternator + AC is not on the alternator or AC bracket, I believe it is a pulley on the engine itself. I can't remember where the one for PS is, because I took out my PS lol.

EDIT: I just remembered, the PS tensioner is on the rear of the engine and you tighten it via a bolt that pushes a lever to move the pulley.
    EDIT2: by rear of engine, I mean, when facing the timing belt, it is on the left most side (closer to the firewall)
    EDIT3: actually, for 2001+ V6, I think the AC tensioner is in fact on the AC bracket

Here are some diagrams for you

Note that #10 above is the tensioner for the timing belt
    Last edited by beam514; 05-20-2012 at 04:35 AM

clebrowns88
    Hey i got the 6g74 and my belt is loose and squealing, the one on my alternator, forgive me for jumping into your forum but it drives me nuts and i cant figure out how to tighten the belt its the alternator one