The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So who's done their own timing belt?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

So who's done their own timing belt?

06 GTS at 85k miles, I suppose I should get this belt done. For the most part it looks pretty straight forward except for getting the crank pulley off.

How are you all doing that? I assume the only reason it needs to come off is because the timing marks are behind it?

What do you use to turn the crank with the pulley off?

U can put the crank bold back on and turn it with a breaker bar, but its a beast send it in or be ready to pull the engine unless u have done these things before. Also I think there is a better way to do it, but most of us removedthe trans shield and put a beefy rod of metal in the gear. I'm am very sure there is a better way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

I've had the belt off a couple of times on my 3.8 and replaced the belt this winter on my Eclipse 3.0. Themain thing is don't rush it if its your first time. keep a clean and organized workspace. don't remove the belt until all of the timing marks are lined up (this just makes everything easier to make sure its done correctly). and most importantly buy a new hydraulic tensioner.

The crank pulley is not an item of concern if you have a decent impact gun.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I've got a 3.7hp 150psi compressor, is that enough to crack it? I've got a shitty gun that came in a kit but I'm sure a good one is cheaper then the $700 the shop wants to do the belt.