The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Open CF hood vents during rain and car wash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

Open CF hood vents during rain or car wash

Is there any affects on your engine for having open vents on your carbon fiber hood while it rains (parked/driving) or during a car wash?
    Last edited by DrunKenG; 05-21-2012 at 07:07 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    yes indeed. I had to drive home in a VERY light shower once and I was freaking out. I made it home though. Another time, I had no idea that it was going to rain because it was a beautiful day, so I parked my car at my friends house. When I went to leave, it had rained for a couple hours but I was responsible for taking home a few drunk people, so I tried to drive. The car felt weird and eventually it died on the freeway just as I was exiting because I knew something wasn't right. I had to leave it stranded in a parking lot overnight. It started fine the next day (I believe it was an electrical problem) but I definitely would not recommend driving in the rain with it open lol.

I actually hose off my engine bay every once in awhile, but I cover the battery, alternator, and air filter with plastic bags to ensure that they don't get wet. I then soak up whatever excess what I can with a towel, then start the engine to evaporate the rest of the water. There are some threads here on cleaning your engine bay like this. Anyway, driving through a car wash with the vent opens increases the potential for something bad to happen if you don't cover the crucial components in there.

I drive my car through rain and park it while raining all the time. Though I have a shroud on mine and it directs most of the water towards the radiator than the engine.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I drive my car through rain and park it while raining all the time. Though I have a shroud on mine and it directs most of the water towards the radiator than the engine.
    where did you buy the shroud? What does it look like..and where is it located on your hood?

Came with the hood its a fg knockoff of the evo shroud.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Jhun35
    My eclipse has the mod gt cf hood with open vents. I've never had a single issue. Unless you run a SRI you should be fine. I have CAI and never had aproblem with wet filter or anything. As long as you don't have anyway of allowing water into the air flow and engine it won't effect anything. I spray down and wash my engine bay everytime I wash the car, hop right in, and drive it to the store, or wherever. It isn't going to hurt anything. It actually improves cooling in my engine bay a ton.

Somehow, my CF VIS hood didn't come with rain guard described on the website when i purchased it from jmautoracing... They have raised the issue with VIS... I'm waiting for a response..

http://www.jmautoracing.com/19992003...d-p-61713.html

Ok ..Did anyone purchase a VIS monster hood from jmautoracing and did it come with rain guards? They are stating "VIS does not make vent covers for this particular hood". Now that worries me cause I made the purchase based on the description.. It still shows that "Hoods with any open vents come with a removable plate that prevents water from getting inside the engine compartment" on jmautoracing website...

http://www.jmautoracing.com/19992003...d-p-61713.html
    Last edited by DrunKenG; 05-24-2012 at 08:02 PM

We sell this hood on a weekly basis. This is not even a hood we stock at our warehouse but rather keep purchased stock with VIS. Vis stated they do not make rain guards for this hood and that there descriptions are generic and don't apply to every model. I am seeing if another company that makes the hood sells them. Otherwise vis states these are not an option with the hood. Im seeing if carbon creations makes them for their monster hood but a few customers I already spoke to say they do not.

ok, I live in Oregon, where it rains basically all the time, and it's usually a torrential downpour, I have no shrouds in my monster hood, no problems whatsoever for at least 2 years now. you'll be fine unless your airfilter literally sits under the vents, which it shouldn't based on our engine bay configuration
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    ok, I live in Oregon, where it rains basically all the time, and it's usually a torrential downpour, I have no shrouds in my monster hood, no problems whatsoever for at least 2 years now. you'll be fine unless your airfilter literally sits under the vents, which it shouldn't based on our engine bay configuration
    What about car wash drive in's...?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunKenG View Post
    What about car wash drive in's...?
    with your kit and all the stuff you doing, that should never come out of your mouth lol, I repainted my car and its never going through a carwash again just my 2 cents

I don't take my car through car washes bro.... but I bet it will be just fine, again, it really really really rains in the Pacific NW, so you'll be good
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    with your kit and all the stuff you doing, that should never come out of your mouth lol, I repainted my car and its never going through a carwash again just my 2 cents
    Let me revise... I was referring to "touchless" carwashes...

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I don't take my car through car washes bro.... but I bet it will be just fine, again, it really really really rains in the Pacific NW, so you'll be good
    Do you have a V6 or 4cyl?...CAI or SRI? I have a V6 with SRI/hydroshield..Would my setup have any problems?

Greddy has an i4

Well i had a rain test today and it appears to be ok... I drove it on the highway/streets for about an hour, undergoing heavy rain and occasional sidewalk splashes and parked for 2 hours while it down poured and it still able to start and drive...We'll see how it holds long term..

Question!

how does the rain guards work on these vents work? I'm very curious this.

Whenever I see a pic of a car with a hood with vents, I could see the the engine clearly through the mesh of the vents so theoretically, they should get wet when it rains..

So how come some hood with vents stay dry even if it pours?

My friend's engine with a CF Hood with vents stayed dry even if it rained hard so I'm very curious on how they function to keep airating the engine with air but keep the rain from coming in.

I also noticed the little air duct on the side of the hood...how come this doesn't scoop water when it rains?

Last edited by gian7675; 06-01-2012 at 07:03 PM Reason: Added more text
    =====================================

Formerly 386 kms. apart...

My 8g and I are now together...FOR-E-Vah!!!

does anyone have a pic of the rain gaurds i wanna try to make them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast