The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats better? 4g63-4g64

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

whats better? 4g63-4g64

i just got a 4g63 block from a friend so i can start building it up for turbo and what not. but i was really wanting a 4g64 block. i see alot of people running 4g63's in almost everything when it comes to high horse power and turbos. so im wondering whats better 4g63 or 4g64 blocks?

Jhun35
    hmm good question. They are both good blocks. The entire 4g6X family are built off the same platform, the 63 being the very first. The 63's are very solid engines, as are the 64's. But I will say, on the 4g69's (my eclipse for instance) the only parts I would interchange with would be from a 4g63, as far as studs, valve springs, seat retainers, etc. Is it just the block? Or head and all? If so is it the 6 bolt or 7 bolt rods?

its the head and all, and a 6bolt. im thinkin maybe the 64 will be better for torque since i know it has a longer stroke. i just dont see to many people talking about major builds with the 64

Quote Originally Posted by gsmove2g View Post
    its the head and all, and a 6bolt. im thinkin maybe the 64 will be better for torque since i know it has a longer stroke. i just dont see to many people talking about major builds with the 64
    there's been a multitude of builds w/ the 4g64 block... check club3g and here for a bunch. also the evo guys have used the block w/ good results in place of the 4g63 to bump displacement. import tuner magazine even built a 4g64/4g63 mivec motor for their evo ix.

So rick Garcia I think it is had this book called building a performance 4g63 and it hads many hints and nods using the 64 block in it he says that 64 with 63 head is a great streetable turbo with the 16g turbo. It boosts faster then the 2.0 cause of the larger displacement and as we all know it can do it at moderate boost or saay up to 15 and. Be decently reliable. So the head and pistons are the weakest parts of the 64 everything else is just turbo vs no turbo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

whats better? 4g63-4g64

Sorry Robert Garcia is from road race engineering

Last edited by bgood12; 05-24-2012 at 07:07 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    You have an 8g so you need and Evo 4g63 block not a dsm block especially a 6 bolt block which is way too different to make work. So therefore sell that block and save up to build a 4g64 dohc.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I think you meant evo head but yes you mosty want 64 block with 63 head but you will need new turbo pistons amongst other more minor things. Get the book it telkls you what head gaskets to use etc .

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    I think you meant evo head but yes you mosty want 64 block with 63 head but you will need new turbo pistons amongst other more minor things. Get the book it telkls you what head gaskets to use etc .

I never said what head for him to use. When he searches he will find the options to make the 64 dohc.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

from what i research there is a 4g64 dohc but its in a hyundai elantra?? or some non mitsu car so you can build a legit dohc 4g64t and in theory it should out perform a 64 with a 63 head or any other variations but as bgood12 said the pistons should be upgraded.
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler

its the 01-05 Hyundai Sonata
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler

why not building the block that came the car with?
    Sure you can use the heads from the hyundai, i have seen it done.
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?