The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DOHC has more radiator clearance the SOHC

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

DOHC has more radiator clearance the SOHC

I have not seen it posted anywhere, I possibly could have over looked it in all the info out there, but a DOHC head in fact gives more radiator clearance then a SOHC head.

The DOHC head positions the turbo manifold/turbo closer to the block, while the SOHC head postions the turbo manifold/turbo farther away. I know, I know when you look at the head the DOHC is wider, but only at the top.

I DID NOT have the water pipe dented on the SOHC head with my TD06H-20g and it cleared with a little room in fact. But I had no radiator clearance and had to use a Half radiator. Now I gained some clearance back in the radiator area and in fact might be able to use a full radiator again.

I found this out a few days ago after doing a SOHC to DOHC swap. I used the same manifold/turbo from my SOHC turbo setup. The only thing that changed was the DOHC head and associated parts. I had to dent the crap out of the water pipe to get my TD06H-20g to fit with a DOHC head.

So be careful if your running a TD06H-20g (TD06) size compressor or larger you will have to dent the water pipe with the DOHC head, the same rules will apply to you as the 4G63 guys and denting the waterpipe.

For those of you that don't know,
    The 2G (what I'm using) and SOHC water pipes are the same diameter and mount to the water pump and run along the block in the same location. Only different is where the neck that bolts up to the water/thermostat housing is different. only pointing this out so someone doesn't say maybe the pipes are bigger or smaller that why you had to dent the pipe. As a matter of fact I measured the 1g, 2g and SOHC pipe all 3 exact same diameter pipes and location on the front of the block.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    The SOHC head is wider than the DOHC head front to back as you can tell by having to plug those 5 drain holes that a couple become exposed after that swap. The SOHC head has the thermostat housing on the front towards the radiator side and the DOHC has the housing on the tranny side. Because of the head being narrower and having to make the swing around the corner of the block you run into the clearance issue with the water pipe which some people run spacers to avoid but I would personally dent up the pipe unless I went bigger than a Td06 housing such as a 30r.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service