The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: dohc swap? in 94 ls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 43

dohc swap? in 94 ls

sweet and simple i have searched this but iPhone sucks on this forum and wont let me do much. i have 94ls i have got 1g 2.0l with 43,000 original miles and a 5 speed ? miles. i have done all the simple swap stuff changed front mount and all that got it in the car and all bolted up. well i have been changing all the wiring around for the 1g ecm and power transistor and coils. well today i found a 94 gs sitting in salvage and i know the engine is similar to the 4g63 but i was wondering if i could just use that harness and ecm and run with it while finishing the other harness. i'm in a pinch cuz my 97 is about junkyard bound and happens to be my daily driver, so it pushing me to finish my project asap.

So for turbo 7g guys, I picked up a 07 Pontiac solstice intercooler a few days ago and fits Like a glove minimal cutting and hacking just need to weld some brackets and trim lower bumper cover a little no cuttin impact renforcenment bar. If I can figure out how to put pics from iPhone Ill do so.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    A GS has a 2.4 4G64 DOHC stock. its a 7 bolt with a 2g head style. that GS motor has 160hp stock non turbo. rebuilding that even to stock specs then turboing would yield good results. you could use the GS harness ans everything just have to rewire for a 1G style cam sensor as it has the 2g under cam gear style and then the crank sensor under the timing belt. also the GS uses a 2g knock sensor and coil packs.

as for pics, send them to your photobucket account then you can post them easily.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Right on thank you for the reply and info. Hopefully I can pick up that harness and ECM soon

do i have to do a rewire for the 1g cas or can i just get a 1g to 2g adapter harness since the gs uses a 2g style head or just make one that way i can make it look factory

you can rewire the same way a 95-96 car would have to or buy a harness from magnus, just be sure to email them at length to get the right harness
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Well I waited too long the junkyard that had the gs sold the whole car I guess I gotta figure out how to finish the rewire for the 1g ecu

Ok can't get the car to crank over. I'm stumped, I can hit the key and it makes a grind noise. Idk what it could be im runnin a 6 bolt 4g63 that was originally out of a 91 eclipse with auto tranny,flywheel is from a 94 eclipse 6 bolt of coarse,clutch was ordered for 96 galant and the tranny is from a 96 galant 5 speed and the starter came from a different 91 or 92 gsx eclipse turbo 5 speed. All bolted up well even starter and everything is good parts so not question of starter being bad. Any input cuz I got me a gs harness and ECM on the way and well I wan2 hear this thing run

You need a 94-98 galant 5 speed starter plate and a galant starter preferably new. Is it a FWD 6 bolt flywheel as the AWD flywheels are smaller and could result in the grinding as the starter would be barely reaching the flywheel and grinding the teeth away.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

well i fabbed up my own starer plate using 24 gauge steel sheet metal and used the bell housing as a templet then bolted the starter and plate to tranny while out of the car all fitted well. do you know the tooth count on the awd and fwd flywheels so i can compare. and parts store says same pt# on starters are same between eclipse and galant as long as its standard

starter numbers should be the same. and do you have a stock flywheel from the galant as its the same size as a fwd turbo one. pictures would help a little as well.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

dont have the galant one as i bought car with no motor a tranny and i bought the 5 speed from jy that all ready had it pulled from car

ok, ur problem is the flywheel/clutch setup, the 63 NA on the 1g uses a different clutch pp setup than the Galant, u would need to get a 6bolt turbo flywheel, not an N/A one

flywheel for the Galant tranmissions should look like this:

the NA flywheel is too small for the galant transmission (look at how the teeth are on urs vs the ones i posted), the grinding noise is the started not engaging on the flywheel, get the right flywheel and u will be all good to go
    Last edited by QnzMostWanted; 07-26-2012 at 06:51 PM

i was under assumption that all 1g fwd were same and awd were diffrent, but i see diff now thank ya guys for help
    Last edited by Jamfish86; 07-26-2012 at 06:52 PM

theres 1g FWD NA, 1g FWD Turbo, 1g AWD, 3 different flywheels

i was in ur situation not to long ago looking for a clutch for my car due to all the different setups, but i figured it out eventually lol

All clutches should be the same, and IDK about the differences in 1g n/a and FWD flywheel. They should be the same as well.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

for the 1g there was a 215mm and a 225mm clutch, the galant uses a 225mm clutch, the 215mm clutch is a different spline count and wont work on the galant transmission

the flywheels are different in being stepped (turbo for 225mm clutch) vs non stepped (N/A 215mm clutch)

even tho my GS was non turbo, it came with a F5M31 which uses the 225mm clutch (same as the 7g) and the flywheel says 63DT (turbo flywheel)
    Last edited by QnzMostWanted; 07-27-2012 at 08:47 AM

maybe all 2.0 flywheels are the same and the smaller clutch is probably the 1.8.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

1.8's used an even smaller clutch
    200mm for the 1.8
    215mm for the 2.0 N/A
    225mm for the 2.0 Turbo
    225mm for the 2.0 AWD

tho the AWD had a smaller flywheel by 1/4 of an inch

if ur using a Galant 5spd from a 7g the transmission code should be F5M31, the flywheel setup for that as a 6bolt is the same as the 1g Turbo which also uses the F5M31 transmission....the other flywheels like the one he has on his setup is for a 1g NT DOHC which uses the F5M22 tranmission which has a smaller bellhousing and a 215mm clutch
    Last edited by QnzMostWanted; 07-27-2012 at 08:51 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast