The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Couple of questions on motor set-up

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Couple of questions on motor set-up

Hey guys ive been running into acouple problems and I just want to make sure that I get this done right this time. First thing is that my head gasket was wrong and completely messed up acouple things such as pistons,etc.I was using a Evo 8 87mm Cometic head gasket and it didnt seem to have all the right holes in the places they should have been between the evo head and 4g64 block. So this ended up blowing the head gasket and coolant ran through my piston walls messing shit up. This time i bought the correct head gasket made for this head swap set up from AWDmotorsports. So I took everything back apart and noticed my bearings,pistons,and walls were scratched. When it comes to building are motors we can use are 100mm crank with Evo 8 rods and pistons correct? The piston ratio im going with are 10:1. I'm just trying to make sure that the standard Evo 8 rod length is the right rods to go with for this 2.4 set-up. Also we think that the pistons and bearings werent getting the correct amount of oil pressure do to these scratches. Im running a Evo 8 oil filter housing with an STM oil cooler upgrade kit. Is anyone else on here running this housing? I might have to go back to the original housing without an oil cooler.Thanks

I'm not 100% but I thought we could only use the 7bolt 2g rods but never did enough research to compare them. Hopefully someone else could chime in.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Not sure why or how you really blew you setup. But yes we can use the EVO rods stock for stock they are the same part number. I have manley rods that are for a 95-2006 7 bolt its all the same rod elnght. Pistons just need to be over bored and you already have that.

I have never heard of any reviews on STMs cooler. But keep it simple after you build it. You wont need all that hooplah stuff to run the car around the block or even to drive 100miles. The oil cooler is really meant for track cars that need the extra capacity and are cooking oil due to high revs and temps.

So funny. That i have a question about the evo 8 oil filter housing. You should be fine with the housing. Is a great housing.

I believe the evo Rods are the same length as the galant. 150MM. You can't use the evo piston. evo are smaller 85mm bore.

The gasket you put wrong or was the wrong gasket. I have the same one, i dont want to put it if is the wrong one -_-
    If anyone here know the evo 8 oil filter housing fitting let me know. I want to put AN fitting for the oil cooler. here a pick. label it if you know it. I know is not NPT fittings. If you have a link even better

What is 5 for. That where the oil turbo inlet goes?
    Last edited by Isaurio; 06-01-2012 at 12:01 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    Not sure why or how you really blew you setup. But yes we can use the EVO rods stock for stock they are the same part number. I have manley rods that are for a 95-2006 7 bolt its all the same rod elnght. Pistons just need to be over bored and you already have that.

I have never heard of any reviews on STMs cooler. But keep it simple after you build it. You wont need all that hooplah stuff to run the car around the block or even to drive 100miles. The oil cooler is really meant for track cars that need the extra capacity and are cooking oil due to high revs and temps.

The oil cooler is not just for track. The main purpose is to cool the oil going to the turbo. Also is good to keep your overall oil cool. It will increase the life of the turbo and bearings. Specially if you running a expensive turbo.

The evo come stock with oil cooler. That means there is a reason mitsu put it there.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 06-01-2012 at 11:59 AM

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

The head gasket is not correct for the head to block set-up. You need a modified head gasket 87mm that you can get from AWDmotorsports for like $170+. I actually just called AWD to see how they do there set-ups with the 2.4 motors and the guy said I would have to use 156mm rods but he didnt seem like he had any interest in helping me. He said since the block has a taller deck these are required instead of the original length.Call STM cause the kit I got came with those fitting size your looking for

If you use this evo 8 oil filter housing could it be possible that the oil pump might have to be changed to the 2.0 for a better flow or what not? Also I know that pistons have to be bigger I just want to know if I need evo8 pistons over-bored. Im going with 86.5mm 10:1 Wesico and running Manley Turbo Tuff rods with these
    Last edited by Gtorque; 06-01-2012 at 12:18 PM

Dont have to be evo piston over bore. Just get the 4G64 standard bore piston them since you using a stander 64 bore 86.5 is standr on the 64. I believe of the shelf is wiseco part number K548M865 and HD K626M865

Here is a pic of their catalog. I'm going with HD 87mm and Manley 150mm rods.

I believe you use the evo water pump with the water pipe. You just need to modified the gasket on the pump. Brian or Roman could help you there. I not sure but I think Roman used the stock galant pump.

Also here is a link for the modified gasket/spacer.. EVO water pump for the 64 block
    http://www.awdmotorsports.com/produc...4%20spacer.htm

Yeah i will see if people here knows. I would have to email them to see if they sell the AN fittings.

I wonder why they use a 156mm rods?
    Last edited by Isaurio; 06-01-2012 at 12:36 PM

SOHC Turbo

UMM. Is this the correct gasket them.

http://www.awdmotorsports.com/produc...sket-evo-8.htm

UMMM. I have The MLS evo 87mm.

SOHC Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    The oil cooler is not just for track. The main purpose is to cool the oil going to the turbo. Also is good to keep your overall oil cool. It will increase the life of the turbo and bearings. Specially if you running a expensive turbo.

The evo come stock with oil cooler. That means there is a reason mitsu put it there.
    This is true, but also too cool of oil and it will no circulate properly. There are issues running huge oil coolers unless you are tracking or need the heavy duty upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    The head gasket is not correct for the head to block set-up. You need a modified head gasket 87mm that you can get from AWDmotorsports for like $170+. I actually just called AWD to see how they do there set-ups with the 2.4 motors and the guy said I would have to use 156mm rods but he didnt seem like he had any interest in helping me. He said since the block has a taller deck these are required instead of the original length.Call STM cause the kit I got came with those fitting size your looking for
    I am using a OEM 4g64 MLS headgasket for my build not sure why everyone is saying the cometics, or cosworth headgaskets.

I believe that would be a 2.4lr setup. The only difference between the evo 2.3l and 2.4l is the bore giving it that extra bit of literage.

"The rod ratio of the stroker 2.3 4G63 and rod ratio of the 2.4 4G64 are the same. 100mm stroke with 150mm rods. The rod ratio of the engine really determines RPM. There are ways around it like a lighter rotating assembly,stronger assembly or do a longer rod in the 4G64 which would change the rod ratio. The biggest difference between the 2 builds is cost a 4G64 core is a lot cheaper than an Evo core. This is why you see more people trying the 4G64 block"

Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    If you use this evo 8 oil filter housing could it be possible that the oil pump might have to be changed to the 2.0 for a better flow or what not? Also I know that pistons have to be bigger I just want to know if I need evo8 pistons over-bored. Im going with 86.5mm 10:1 Wesico and running Manley Turbo Tuff rods with these
    The evo oil pump and the galant oil pump are the SAME part number. Unless you are going with a long rod setup the pistons will be the same in every way but bore size.

The evo oil pump and the galant oil pump are the SAME part number. Unless you are going with a long rod setup the pistons will be the same in every way but bore size.
    o really i did not know that. so why you have to put a adapter plate or custom made gasket. I think it has to do with the water neck pipe.

SOHC Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    o really i did not know that. so why you have to put a adapter plate or custom made gasket. I think it has to do with the water neck pipe.
    Yes that is for the water pump issues that the evo guys have to work out because of their crank pulley

Yes that's the head gasket I bought. I already have the water pump safer from MAP. I'm also running the alternator pulley,water pump pulley,and fluidamper crank all from the evo8. With this I'm running a AMS p/s a/c delete kit with a smaller belt. The pistons I were using are the k626m87 but I'm going with the k626m865 this time. There's still plenty of power to be made without the over bore. Plus I don't feel like spending an extra $200 for a little bore.