The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 98 Galant Aftermarket Stereo Advice please?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

98 Galant Aftermarket Stereo Advice please?

Hi all

I have a 98 Galant GLS. I bought the car with no stereo, as the previous owner had removed their aftermarket head unit.

I bought a new Sony head unit today and the existing wiring plugged straight into the back of the new head unit. However when I turn the stereo on i can see the power antenna raise and lower and then the stereo turns itself off.

Please can anybody help?

Thanks

Best thing to do is purchase the Galant harness that will plug straight into the radio harness of the car and solder/connect those wires to the wires of the harness that came with the radio you just bought. I'd never use an existing aftermarket harness without knowing what radio it was used with because even though the connector fits, the pinout may have changed between models. Do the correct wiring, and if you didn't blow any fuses (or your head unit), you should be good to go. Hope this helps, and welcome to TGC!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

^That.

Some jvc and sony units have the same connector, most of the time the pins are the same but you can't be too sure, I wouldn't have used the existing harnesses either. Take the time to connect the harness that came with the radio and check the memory power ann acc, also it's best to ground the radio to metal and not the harness since most mistus don't supply ground at the oem plug.

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your replies. Sorry what I meant was, I have used the wiring harness that was supplied with the new head unit and it plugged straight into whatever wiring was in the car.

Apparently the guy in the shop said its something to do with the power source and I might need to jump off of the cigarette lighter wire?

Not the simple 5 min job i thought. Electrics aint my thing. lol