The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car starts, stalls immediately

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Icon5 car starts, stalls immediately

Hi, I've got a 4 cylinder '01 Galant. a couple months ago it started stalling (even while driving). Now, it usually starts first thing in the morning when my husband takes my son to the bus. but just with that short trip, when he comes home and turns it off, if he tries to start it again, it starts then stalls immediately. It stalls even if you're revving the engine. It will do this same thing if try to start it for several hours, and only seems to start and stay running if car has been sitting for several hours... help!

When was the last tune up? I would start there.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Check iac wires for sure

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

i would have the fuel pump tested.

Experienced TGC Member
    Sounds more like a cam sensor that is on its way out but just for kicks start the car and let it idle. Then pop the hood and try to pull the intake pipe up and see if it stalls. If it does stall you probably have a common 8g proplem which is a cracked intake manifold by the rear of the throttle body.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

had same problem, the camshaft position sensor was failing, I eventually got the P0340 code. When the engine is cold, it starts and runs fine, but after I shut it off, it will stall when i try to start it again. The guys here said the part is only $35 and it takes 5 mins to replace. If it's that cheap, it might be worth a try to replace, so little to lose... I took mine to the mechanic since i didn't know what was wrong.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMBA View Post
    had same problem, the camshaft position sensor was failing, I eventually got the P0340 code. When the engine is cold, it starts and runs fine, but after I shut it off, it will stall when i try to start it again. The guys here said the part is only $35 and it takes 5 mins to replace. If it's that cheap, it might be worth a try to replace, so little to lose... I took mine to the mechanic since i didn't know what was wrong.
    Same thing happened to me and I think I paid $45 out here in nyc for the sensor. Happened to me a couple of months ago and like you said eventually I got the p0340 code. It took about 2 weeks for it to set the code. It only takes 5 min to replace since all you have to do is remove one bolt and a connector.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Yup... Just came back here having fixed it on Monday and saw that you guys called it right... Camshaft Position Sensor... Darn car has been down a couple months now and turns out it was easy and cheap... thanks guys for the reply