The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to retro fit any headlight with CCFL halos

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

How to retro fit any headlight with CCFL halos

Heres a little tut for anyone wanting to retro fit a headlight with CCFL halos. First things first this is not for anyone who doesn't have skilled bone in their body and I will not be held responsible for you messing up your own headlight try it at your own risk!!!

I just finished my own retro for my 06 Yamaha R1 and here's how I did it, first remove your heads and wash them off you want to remove all dirt and grease because you will be opening them up and you don't want to get any crap on the inside from you handeling it. The best and easiest way to open a head is by using a heat gun the oven method works too but it's much safer using a heat gun because you can control the amount of heat directed to your head. Most people use a screw driver to pry it open after you heat it up but it's not recommended because if you apply too much pressure and it's not heated enough you will crack your lense, use a pair of gloves and pull it apart slowly if more heat is needed apply it where is needed till you have two halfs. Now that you have them open you can begin installing the ccfl's use caution when handeling the ccfl's cause they are made of glass most kits come with silicone or epoxy to secure the ccfl to your head if it don't I recommend using a high heat silicone because it doesn't run or drip wile you your setting the ccfl and gives you plenty of time to line it up into the position you want. Allow a minim of 12 hours for the silicone dry so you know their secure and can handel the head. Begin to drill a hole somewhere in the back top or bottom or in the most accessable spot of your head to run your wires thru I did the bottom so the wires are not seen. Now that the ccfl's are mounted and the wires are passed thru the housing you can begin to put the two halfs of your heads back together using the reverse prosess of opening them, silicone the hole where the wires pass thru. Reinstall your heads. Each ccfl requires a ballast pick a spot to mount them anywhere you please and wire them up any way you want wether it's separately switched or with your parking lights or however. That's all there is to it! Remember when your buying your ccfl's they come in different sizes so choose a size that will make contact with two sides of your reflector or if your a projector make sure their big enough not to make contact with the glass.
    Original head

I chose to candy apple the bezels to my projectors

Ccfl's mounted

Put back together

Finished product

Great Job looking great.
    Dw@r!k@

Always on point D!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

When I read the title and saw ego wrote it, I said to myself he should retro the Yamaha heads and sure enough you did. Good job, looks great.
    13 Honda Accord EX 6MT

Awesome look....!!

Thanks fellas defiantly looks much better in person has a real mean look and wasn't that hard to do. The light out put on these things are crazy and will probably do the G at some point...

Hey now Carl is my ego that big? Lmmfao
    Last edited by deeznutz; 06-09-2012 at 01:51 PM

Looks good, very mean!