The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ??? on plastic wheel hub rings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>if the lugs are cone shaped, they should center the rim unless the holes in the rims are too big and are like somewhat adjustable. Â*What rim what be produced like that?</div>

I'm not sure if you are asking a question or not. Most cars have cone shaped lugs. On a hubcentric car, the hubcentric ring centers the wheel, not the lugs.

From tirerack.com:

The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration. With a hubcentric wheel, the lug hardware will not be supporting the weight of the vehicle, all they really do is press the wheel against the hub of the car. Some wheels use high quality, forged centering rings that lock into place in the back of the wheel. This is acceptable alternative.

If you have non-hubcentric (lugcentric) wheels, they should be torqued correctly while the vehicle is still off of the ground so they center properly. The weight of the vehicle can push the wheel off-center slightly while you're tightening them down if left on the ground.

From tires.com:

Q. What Are Hub-centric Rings; Do I Need Them?
    A. Most aftermarket wheels are manufactured with a center hole that will fit a wide range of vehicles. The hub-centric ring is used to fill any gap that may exist between this hole and the vehicle's hub, thus centering the wheel on the axle. If you have vibrations after installing new wheels, chances are hub-centric rings were not used.

These two quotes should settle all doubt about whether hubcentric rings are required. For the 8G Galant, YOU MUST HAVE THEM!

-Mohammad

TGC Regular
    mine came with a metal ring dunno if thats the same thing. but if i over tighten my rims and when i go to take them off the ring stays on the rotor and i usual have to take it off to put it back onto the rim.
    - Atba

Many wheels come with metal hubcentric rings, but tirerack, for examples, supplies plastic ones because the metal ones tend to get fused to the wheels or the hubs. The plastic ones are a special type with higher heat tolerances.

-Mohammad

Re: ??? on plastic wheel hub rings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PUNISHER)</div><div class='quotemain'>o.k. here is my question i got new rims and i was told by a friend that i would need the plastic wheel hub rings to put on the inside of the rim to stop vibration of the rim. i looked at his rims and sure enough he has them and i don't. now DO I NEED these rings? are they a must for rims?do you even know what i am talking about? help please i want my rims on asap and i hate Â*to wait!!!</div>

So here's my experience: I just bought BSA 245 17'' rims for my 2000 ES V6 Galant. Mounted and balanced and there the steering wheel was vibrating like crazy as well as the whole car. I realized I didn't have the plastic hubcentric rings so I got them put on. IT DIDN'T help. So I got the wheels REBALANCED at a different shop. And it worked!!! It turned out that the first shop just did a shitty job of balancing. So I would say the most important thing to do is to make sure you have the wheel/tires balanced. But if you can, get the rings too, won't hurt.

yea i found out about this plastic thing two months ago... i took off my rims kuz they was bald and i noticed the plastic piece. i thought it was suppose to be there sooo i left it on and put on my stock hubs... as i was tightening the tires which was hard as fuck... i said forget it and unscrewed the nuts... take the nuts out i heard a crack... then another crack... like shit the stupid plastic thing is only for the rims because the hubs wouldnt fit around the plastic... as a result i had to buy 4 new bolts because 2 was stripped and the other 2 snapped ... but anyways does anybody know where i can replace the plastic pieces???
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

No, it's dependant on the make of the car. Notice that the hub has the small ring that protrubes outwards? That's where the wheel is supposed to center itself. Yes, not all ahweels are hubcentric, but all wheels for the Galant are hubcentric. If you don't have the rings, then your wheels are not centered properly. Tapered lugs are not enough, if they were, we would have lugcentric wheels. Having the lugs center the wheel is what lugcentric is, our cars are not lugcentric. You must have the hubcentric rings, every company that makes wheels for our car has the rings, they should have been included, but people forget to include them many times.[/quote]

Hey this theory has to be correct cuz as i posted on another post, i just put on my hub rings and got my tires balance and check for road force, my car miraculously doesn't shake like crazy when passing 65-75 mph anymore. Therefore if u have that same problem as i did, contact the company that u bought ur aftermarket rims and tell them about ur situation and should sell or give them to u for free as the company that i purchased them did. Hope this helps.
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

tolowbass
    ok check this out i never had those stupid rings and never had any vibration problems at any speed i go

Experienced TGC Member
    I dont have my car with me right now. But Im certain that their is no center ring or bolt. The wheels are balanced by the lugs. So I guess my wheels are lugcentric?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12