The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 Automatic P0743 code?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon5 2003 Automatic P0743 code?

Hello,

I have a 2003 Galant, 126,XXX miles on it. Shifts hard into reverse and drive. When driving it appears to start and stay in 3rd gear (can get to 60mph and the engine will be at 3500-4000rpm). Check engine light on: P0743 Torque Converter Solenoid. This started after replacing the starter. Transmission flud looks red and not burnt and smells normal. Fuses are all in and fine as well. I checked the connections I could see on top of the tranny, but not sure where to go from there. I was going to take it to a shop, but I know a bit about cars and don't want to spend 100 dollars to have someone tell me what I kinda know...

Any suggestions?

Re-check every connection on the transmission, its possible you knocked something loose.

Sent from my Rooted Droid X using hacked Tapatalk 2

I didn't change the starter, it was a garage, who claims they did everything properly. Took it to Mitsubishi and they said it is either the solenoid, the computer, or the wiring harness. I ordered a solenoid, and from what I can see it is really easy to change once the pan is off the transmission. Mitsubishi confirmed that the transmission starts and stays in 2nd gear all the time (they said it is in failsafe mode aka limp mode). They wouldn't give me a more accurate diagnosis as they said they would need to drop the valve body to do more testing. I was not going to pay them to do this. What symptoms would a bad TCC Solenoid cause? I am also confused as to why they couldn't hook a computer up to the car, drive it, and see if the computer was doing it's job based on what commands it was giving to the car? Anymore thoughts?

Make sure you have a way of clearing the codes after you replace the part. Some vehicles take a while to learn that a problem is fixed unless you wipe the codes.

Okay, we changed the solenoid. I assume it is also referred to as the "damper clutch control solenoid"? It was on the right at the very bottom. The code is still there and it is still acting up. Took it to advance auto and he cleared the code but as soon as I started it back up the code came back. I am at a loss. The wiring harness looked good and the fluid was bright red and smelled normal. All fuses are fine.
    The only suggestion advance auto gave me was to keep driving it and see if it goes away on its own because some cars even when codes are cleared still have to reset themselves.

Any suggestions? :/