The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cat back exhaust

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Cat back exhaust

So I'm playing to start work on my Galant starting with a CAI, VR4 Grill and Headlights. I want to put a Cat back exhaust on it but all I seem to find is the one for the 4G64. Will that one work for the 6G72? I don't see why not, but I just wanted to make sure.

The swirls and eddies of the exhaust flow will be different between the two engines. Mufflers made specific to an engine on a car are designed to get the "best" exhaust note.

If you just want it to be louder and sound cool then it really doesn't matter. I bought a universal Konig muffler and I like it. The I4 G's are putting on the V6 muffler on all the time.

Here is my exhaust. AEM SRI, Konig universal exhaust, new pipe from cat to muffler.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

I do want it to sound louder, but I want it to also make power.

If you want power, get a turbo or supercharger.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Quote Originally Posted by Neo8G View Post
    So I'm playing to start work on my Galant starting with a CAI, VR4 Grill and Headlights. I want to put a Cat back exhaust on it but all I seem to find is the one for the 4G64. Will that one work for the 6G72? I don't see why not, but I just wanted to make sure.
    yes you can, 4 years no problem

Yes, we all know what this is......

The renowned ebay exhaust system copied from the Megan Racing version for a fraction of the price. How good is it you ask? Well, 95% on this board will say it's crap and the other 5% will say it worked well for them. Wait, you say the 5% on this board who actualy installed this say it's good and the rest say it's crap has never even touch this product? Well, I was skeptical too as being one of the 95% for a long time. Then it got to me the same 5% who had this catback for more than 2 years never had any issues with the system got me to think it may be worth a shot. But I snagged into an obsticle: the catback (or it's Megan counterpart) was designed for the 4 cylinder Galant. I searched the forum for anyone installing this system on a v6 but most were custom built. Since I made some product reviews in the past doing this mod wouldn't hurt that much... $120 shipped compared to $520 I thought, what could go wrong?

Then it was time to install it....

Now I know why the product stated it FITS ON 99-03 MITSUBISHI GALANT 4cycl. only

First, the end links where it connects to the exhaust manifold flex pipe to the straight pipe is missing on the v6 as a high flow cat converter is in its place. For those who have i4 Galants it should bolt on without problems. I had to cut the end piece off and weld it to the hi-flow pipe (see pic below)

After that, everything else was just bolted on. it came in 3 pieces all were just bolt ons (it's separated with a exhaust gasket included in the box. Though I wish it could of came with a heat shield or a exhaust wrap but I could get that at another time.)

Next problem comes from the muffler....

The muffler provided with the kit is a cheap ebay product you can buy for $30 shipped. Even though the tip was 4 inches wide it gave me a throaty/rasp sound for v6 which I had to get rid of it. I replaced it with my ol' Megan muffler. See pic below.

Well, that's it so far. I can't give you guys a longterm review until maybe summer 2010 on how this product holds up but I can tell you it change the response of the car. I liked it and for the money I saved I could focus on other stuff. Til next time...

Thanks for the info G.
    Last edited by Neo8G; 06-19-2012 at 09:46 PM

a while ago i had the megan exhaust that i bought off ebay for around $300 and loved it, at the time it was pretty new so i dont think it was copied yet as a matter of fact i didnt know it was copied at all until i read this thread. which is kinda of funny because i was under the impression that megan is one of those companies that sells bootlegs.

anyway the megan fit perfect sounded great, no drone or high pitched sound when WOT and not to loud. never had problems with tickets. i definetly would recomend this exhaust or any copy to anyone as long as it had the same resonator and muffler on it as the megan.

x2 on Megan Exhaust and most ebay exhaust systems on ebay do not have resonators as good as the actual Megan exhaust. Trust me i know because i once had the ebay exhaust well Genki Tuning before I bought the Megan exhaust.