The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: engine noise

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

engine noise

When idling, I get this unusual rumbling noise from the engine but once the engine is reved, the noise is gone. video at
    http://youtu.be/HAWQJB2Su88 Suggestions??
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

It the first time i hear that kind of sound.
    Sounds like a rubber part was hitting something. I would try taking out one by one the straps. If the sound continues, would try uncovering the rocker cover......mi idea

I wonder if a tooth on your cam gear is broke off or maybe a bolt backed itself out...it would be sitting in there bouncing around under that belt cover. Thats all I got right now

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    Go to your local auto parts store and pick up one of these. It only cost about $10 and will help point you in the correct direction to where the sound is coming from. Good luck and I wouldn't start the car again till I picked up one of these. fyi try to get one with a tip extension like the one I have pictured below.

Last edited by Sleepervr-4; 06-21-2012 at 11:31 AM
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I tried pin pointing the noise with a screwdriver placed against ny ear and could not get a fix on the noise. Guess I'll have to tear into it.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Well mystery noise found: It was a defective crankshaft dampner. The center part that bolts to the crankshaft has a rubber filed joint that attaches the outter pulleys. Turns out the rubber joint had given way and the outter pulleys were free to slide in and out. The noises came from the pulleys moving in and out and contacting the lower timing belt cover and frame as the dampner flexed. This is on my 98 with 140K which is ironic because all my other 7g have more miles (271K on my 94 ES) and none has had this problem before. Based on my experiences one other possible indciator for this problem is if you break fan belt or have a squealing alternator fan belt that just can't be adjusted to completely eliminate the squeal. Easy fix, losen the alternator and AC fan belts. Pull the four small bolts on the dampner. Depending on the clearances you may have to pull the engine side motor mount to lower the engine a bit to get enough clearance to get it off the center bolt on th crankshaft. I'llpost picture later to highlight the problem
    jjj

should be one piece, not two

jjj

DAmn,that sucks
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN