The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine will not start.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Engine will not start.

OK, here's the deal. I was driving the car fine, with no problems, stopped for about two minutes (engine off) and tried to turn the car back on, but would not start. It's cranking, belts are rotating and all...just will not get over that hump.

I had a mechanic friend come by to check it out, but we couldn't figure it out. He said the engine was getting fire/spark. We also tried starting it with some starting fluid, thinking it was a fuel problem, but nothing. The battery is good, and the 'check engine' light isn't on. We also checked the spark plugs for oil. They seemed OK, but did smell like gas a bit. Relay's were also good.

With all that checked off the list. Does anyone have any other thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Check the fuel pressure going through the fuel rail. Cranking and not turning over is a sign of a bad fuel pump.

Also: You may have a bad crank and/or cam sensor, those effect the timing of not working correctly and can keep the car from not turning over if not working.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

OK. Can you tell me where the test point is for the fuel rail, and how to test? Also, if those sensor's go out. Do you know if the 'check engine' light would turn on?

I also thought about the timing belt slipping, but it is fairly new. It was replaced when I had to change the water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by KOF27 View Post
    OK. Can you tell me where the test point is for the fuel rail, and how to test? Also, if those sensor's go out. Do you know if the 'check engine' light would turn on?

I also thought about the timing belt slipping, but it is fairly new. It was replaced when I had to change the water pump.
    I'm not too sure with the 7G's, the check engine light will go on if those sensors go bad. But only if the car is actually running, and the PCM goes through it's drive cycle and picks up the issue with the sensor.

The timing belt could have been installed improperly, that's possible.

-Chris-

From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    If the timing belt jumped you would have issues before turning it off as when it jumps everything is thrown out of time. Disconnect the fuel line to the rail and try to turn it over, if the fuel pressure is really low meaning just a decent stream into the cup then it's probably the distributor, if the fuel pressure is fine I would check the belt and crank sensor which is under the timing belt in a 96-98 but if you have a 94-95 then the cam and crank are built into the distributor and is most likely your issue. My 95 did this but luckily it was in my garage.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

That's right, the 7Gs had distributors. I'm so used to coil pack setups. Haha.

-Chris-

I think it might be my fuel pump. I was gonna check the fuel pressure, but the pump wasn't even engaging. So I took off the the cover to test the hot going to the fuel pump and I was getting power out of the connector.

Since I'm getting power to the fuel pump. Does that rule out the computer and or a relay? Also, I've never had a fuel pump go bad. Do they just quit working all together?

easier was to chec pump is to unhook the high pressure hose from the fuel rail put a cup under it then turn the ignition if you have gas in the cup its workin
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler