The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 Galant transmission problem

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    djpete714

02 Galant transmission problem

My transmission is acting up, will not pick up fast. if im easy on the gas it will pickup slowly and shift fine. When i step on the gas like to get on the freeway it will feel like the transmission is working hard, but not pick up speed. My tranny oil looks fine, and level is fine.

Today i got curious under the hood where the relays are and felt the relay that has A/T label that was hot as well as the one with the engine pic on it. The defroster or ac i believe it is cause it has a snowflake on it was fresh to the touch.

Why would these relays be getting hot?

Please help
    I

Kinda hard to understand your description... by the transmission "working hard" is it not downshifting when you go to accelerate harder?

You checked the fluid level, but it was completely clean? No metal shavings, or contaminants in the oil?

Also, whats the mileage on your 8G? Has the transmission ever been serviced prior?

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

1.Could be a lack of airflow (when i cleaned my filter and added a CAI i noticed smoother shifts)
    2. Could be a electrical issue (when i recharged my batteries i noticed my tranny would shift at lower rpms)
    3. I have no idea about your relay problem maye someone more experienced here can give your better advice.
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhaze View Post
    1.Could be a lack of airflow (when i cleaned my filter and added a CAI i noticed smoother shifts)
    Funny you say that, I've noticed better shifts when driving normally. Under WOT, more or less the same. I'd imagine you'd need a tune to take advantage of the increase in airflow coming into the combustion chamber to actually benefit the CAI.

-Chris-

From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

djpete714
    car revs hard, but will not pick up speed. the rpms will not go past 3k, i almost feel like some pessure holding it back. If i let go off the gas, and start giving it easy gas it will start accelerating very slowly. I can't step on it and go cause it will not pickup.

I have not serviced the transmission, so i will do that and see if it helps. I did not see any metal shavings though.

Anyone down in south cali? maybe if you drive it you will know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by djpete714 View Post
    car revs hard, but will not pick up speed. the rpms will not go past 3k, i almost feel like some pessure holding it back. If i let go off the gas, and start giving it easy gas it will start accelerating very slowly. I can't step on it and go cause it will not pickup.

I have not serviced the transmission, so i will do that and see if it helps. I did not see any metal shavings though.

Anyone down in south cali? maybe if you drive it you will know what i mean.
    Is the SES light on? Sounds like some sticky solenoids in the trans. Have the trans serviced, NOT POWER FLUSHED. Have the transmission pan dropped, cleaned, replace the filter and gasket, fill with new trans fluid to the proper amount.

-Chris-

djpete714
    My CEL light came on, with a P0421 bank1. I was told that i needed a new exhaust manifold with converter. I already purchased this part...i was thinking maybe this part is clogged and holding back my galant. No other codes have popped up besides this one.

djpete714
    so i guess i confused some of you with my description so here is a better one. my car revs hard but the rpms will not go past 3k. Transmission or engine sound like is working hard but car speeds up very slowly.

If i let go off the gas it will not rev hard no more and when i give it little gas it will start accelarating slow. seems like im limited to under 3k for rpms.

hope this helps.!!!! so you can help me.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    sound like my issue, Check the Throttle Position Sensor; transmission uses that sensor to respond when you floor the pedal and kick down to a lower gear

I have this code right now too. I havent yet had time to diagnose what has tripped my code but I have a small assumption that it might be my cat. Here is what the FSM says:

DTC P0421: Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
    TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION• The signal from the rear heated oxygen sensor
    differs from the front heated oxygen sensor.That
    is because the catalytic converter purifies
    exhaust gas. When the catalytic converter has
    deteriorated, the signal from the front heated
    oxygen sensor becomes similar to the rear
    heated oxygen sensor.• The PCM compares the output of the front and
    rear heated oxygen sensor signals.
    DTC SET CONDITIONS
    Check Conditions
    • Engine speed is lower than 3,000 r/min.
    • Volume air flow sensor output frequency is
    between 63 and 169 Hz.
    • Intake air temperature is higher than -10° C (14°
    F).
    • Barometric pressure is higher than 76 kPa (11
    psi).
    • The throttle valve is open.
    • Under the closed loop air / fuel ratio control.
    • Vehicle speed is 1.5 km/h (0.93 mph) or more.
    • Monitoring time: 70 seconds.
    Judgment Criteria
    • The heated oxygen sensor (rear) signal and
    heated oxygen sensor (front) signal are similar.
    MULTIPORT FUEL INJECTION(MFI) DIAGNOSIS
    TSB Revision
    MULTIPORT FUEL INJECTION (MFI) <2.4L> 13A-195
    TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely
    causes for this code to be set are:)
    • Catalytic converter deteriorated.
    • Heated oxygen sensor failed.
    • PCM failed.
    DIAGNOSIS
    Required

The diagnosing requires a special scanner or something. But I think a person can check the oxygen sensor without the tool by probing the oxygens sensors signal wire. I havent tried it yet myself but I need to. (I also read where care needs to be taken when probing these harness to prevent damage to the pins or connector or both) I need to make sure it isnt a sensor, even thou it may be good time to replace both of them. If you want I can post what the rest of the manual says about checking the sensors.