The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Has anyone gotten rid of factory trunk hinges?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Has anyone gotten rid of factory trunk hinges?

I'm trying to find a few details if anyone has gotten rid of their factory trunk hinges. The hinges that encroach on the trunk space are destroying my plans for what I want to do in the trunk of my 8G. If anyone has done this with success any help would be appreciated.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

I'm thinking of that too. The cheap spring operated factory hinges aren't exactly the way I'd like to see it. Would be interested if anyone tried or actually converted to another system.

Found this thread with some info:
    http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1434

And then went on for a search and for our cars, we'd probably best use a gas strut hinge with flat-bottom and flat-top side brackets, like I found for a Mazda:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX8-...item4abe3576d1

I got around it by using a legnum lol

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    you an put a spring on the arm but you would have to weld a bracket to hold the spring here is what the jdm trunk holds their stuff.

I did on my old g but would have worked better if I had better mounting instead of putting a bolt through it. I had found them on a pontiac g6. If it had more force to the struts then it would have worked better.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

there's not much space to work with to put in the mounts

Last edited by gallant; 11-09-2012 at 01:17 AM

Need to make special brackets to come off the trunk so you find yourself making holes through the top exposing the bolts holding the hinge brackets. Machine shop, take accurate measurements so the bracket doesn't interrupt the rubber seal when you close it. Only thing rasing a problem is the angle the trunk comes down on the car. It's a little off set enough to bend the bracket. Still working out the kinks. Measure twice, cut once