The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Why aren't the halo rings on my projector headlights working? :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Why aren't the halo rings on my projector headlights working? :(

I have an 8G and I have the black Halo LED Projector Headlights that I bought on ebay. In the back of the headlight, there is a black & red wire that goes to the LEDs, so I assume that's for the LEDs, then there's a black & white wire that's coming out of the Halos so I assume those are for the Halos.

I am using the parking wire to hook both up because I want to have both on if I turn on the parking light only and of course, if I turn on the headlights, they would still be on.

My problem is, when I hookup both the LEDs and Halo wires using 1 connection to the marking wires, ONLY the LEDs work fine. (Even if I hook them up to the main headlights or the fogs, ONLY the LEDs will work.

What I did was used the quick connectors to attach the LED wires (red/black) to the Halo wires (white/black) and then I use quick connectors to hook up the Halo (white/black) to the parking wires. Again, ONLY the LEDs work, but the Halos do not.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Here's a pic:
    http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/4827/photo2ws.jpg
    Last edited by xazilizax; 07-01-2012 at 02:13 PM

In your pic the halos are on, they're just dim as hell. I've read that the bulbs that come with the halos are dim. I'd replace them, I believe they're 194 bulbs but I'm not 100% sure. I don't have a good suggestion for replacement bulbs. Also make sure your connections are good, loose connection bring the possibility of voltage drops which can also make your lights dimmer.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    You can get leds from Superbrightleds.com or vleds.com. Thats where I get mine from & I believe they are 194s.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

They're on, get better brighter 194 LED bulbs for them. Also from experience ditch those quick-crap-splice-crap-connections fast, they suck and come loose over time, best connection is still and will always be a soldered connection.

Turn off the headlight and put the switch in the parking lights only position and I'm sure you'll see them on, they are not the best, and yes do get some LED to put in there. Seen good results from others, I posted those when I found them on eBay, but never got them myself a few years back. I did a D2S bi-xenon retro and am loving it. I have seen some of these that look great and guys love them and some that are not do great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Here's another pic I took:
    http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6879/photo8js.jpg

Are you guys sure the halos are on? I thought it "looks like it's on" because of the light refection of the LEDs, which are pretty bright...so that is why I was thinking that they don't work. I guess I will get the new led bulbs for the halos and see what happens.

Or even easier, take the leds out of the halos and see if there's still a "reflection". Take another picture and upload it.

Good idea tamim13. Now, if I can only find where the bulbs are. he he I'm a girl, so you know............. :)

Here is a pic of the back, but I'm going to remove the headlights and check the back still.
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8...kheadlight.jpg

The bulbs are right where the wires (black and white) goes into the housing. You could pull them out with your hands or pry them gently with a small flathead screwdriver. The socket with the bulb pops right out. Each halo carries four bulbs, so sixteen (16) of them to change out eight (8) on each headlight..
    Dw@r!k@

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby~d View Post
    The bulbs are right where the wires (black and white) goes into the housing. You could pull them out with your hands or pry them gently with a small flathead screwdriver. The socket with the bulb pops right out. Each halo carries four bulbs, so sixteen (16) of them to change out eight (8) on each headlight..
    Holy crap! That's alot of bulbs. lol
    Last edited by xazilizax; 07-02-2012 at 12:02 PM

I was looking at the back of the headlight and the halos are easy to come out. Now, I was looking at the LEDs and I don't see any way to remove them. Anyone know how? If anything, I'll just disconnect the LED wires from the halos and check the halos that way.

I know all of you guys might be right, that the bulbs are too dim to see properly and will need to get new bulbs, but I still want to see for myself. :D
    Last edited by xazilizax; 07-02-2012 at 11:40 AM

Would these halo bulbs I found on ebay be ok? Also, which do you think will look better, white or blue?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-T10-194...2aeb89&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-Blue-LE...389a0a&vxp=mtr

Depends on which look you are going for. If I remember right, the BMW halos are white or amber (depending on the model).

I'm not really sure about the eBay LEDs, but for the price point, it's probably worth the risk.

Disconnecting the wires for the LED's is the easiest way to check if the halo's are lighting.
    When I bought headlight's like yours I changed all the bulbs for the halo's to LED's, but I still did not find that they were so bright.
    Note: the lights I bought were just like yours and I also had spaces around the light, bumper and grille. I just took it back to the shop where I bought it and got a refund.
    My car is JDM and it seemed as though these lights were for USDM models.
    Dw@r!k@

Disconnecting the wires for the LED's is the easiest way to check if the halo's are lighting.
    When I bought headlight's like yours I changed all the bulbs for the halo's to LED's, but I still did not find that they were so bright.
    Note: the lights I bought were just like yours and I also had spaces around the light, bumper and grille. I just took it back to the shop where I bought it and got a refund.
    My car is JDM and it seemed as though these lights were for USDM models.
    What is the difference between the JDM and USDM model galant and how can I tell which one I have? I am fine keeping the headlights, but I hate all the space below it. Of course, water will easily get inside. If there is no way to fix that, I would send them back, but I like them :/ so I'm kind of in a dilemma. Grr!
    Last edited by xazilizax; 07-02-2012 at 02:04 PM

Last edited by Bobby~d; 07-02-2012 at 02:23 PM
    Dw@r!k@

Okay, I understand now....but nothing at all can be done to fix the gap...like putting some weather strips or something under it?

I'm pretty sure that you could find something to fill in the gaps with. The shop I had bought mine from offered to fill in the gaps/spaces with pieces of rubber strips, but I did'ent want that.
    Do some searching on the site I'm sure someone prob. done this before or would have some very good ideas.
    Dw@r!k@

Quote Originally Posted by xazilizax View Post
    he he I'm a girl, so you know............. :)
    Pics? LOL!! j/k!

Or am I?

But seriously, those bulbs you posted would probably match best in white to the LED's. Did you check the little sockets? It's possible there aren't any bulbs in there at all.

I'm pretty sure that you could find something to fill in the gaps with. The shop I had bought mine from offered to fill in the gaps/spaces with pieces of rubber strips, but I did'ent want that.
    Do some searching on the site I'm sure someone prob. done this before or would have some very good ideas.
    These fill the gap perfectly and you can wire them to display either color. One day I'll put them on. I only placed them under the gap to see if it would work and it did. You don't really need to remove the Ebay headlights, either (but I probably will just to make sure it's done right).
    http://alturl.com/ak8hu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast