The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new galant owner suspicious sounds from car

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

new galant owner suspicious sounds from car

hi everyone i just bought my first car two weeks ago, its a 2000 Galant red with a white front passenger door and grey fender XD ive been hearing some noises that im not sure if they're normal or not? like the car vibrates when im stopped (it rattles more if the ac is on) and about 2 days ago i heard a very loud pop while i was turning i thought i had popped a tire but it was fine so im not sure about that and (this isn't a noise) but there's white smoke coming from the engine somewhere like under it, its usually just a little bit but today when i drove it like 10 miles on the freeway going about 70 there was alot more when i parked the temp needle was in the middle so its not over heating but there's also a very small dot of oil that leaks from the car about the size of a quarter.
    im sorry if you guys have answered these before i looked but some of them are explained but idk what it meant because i don't know much about cars but i am willing to learn :) any help is appreciated, thank you :D

Your first problem sounds like motor mounts and does your steering wheel shake when it vibrates.
    For your white smoke problem check your hoses out, make sure they are on tight and not cracked. White smoke usually happens when antifreeze or water falls onto hot metal.
    Is the smoke coming from the front or rear of the motor by the firewall.

Sup man welcome to the galant center , I think it might be a gasket problem , is there any smoke coming from your exhaust ? because white smoke from the exhaust might mean coolants getting to inside of your cylinders thats what happened to my friends car but theres alot of other reasons also . for the pop it might be something with the suspension do you know anything else that the previous owner did ? is the wheel aligned properly ? Since the door and fender were replaced it mightve been in a accident the engine mounts might have been damaged which will cause engine vibrations. Does it only happen when you stop? is it more pronounced when you speed up and begin to stop?

Another question ever since the pop from the turn have you had any problems steering?

yes the steering wheel also vibrates, as for the smoke i went outside to go see if i could replicate the problem in my drive way by revving the engine as if i were driving and no smoke came out anywhere, so maybe it has to be moving for it to do it? but it usually comes from like the bottom towards the back cause when i first noticed it it was coming out of the side of the fender and slighty at the top of the hood on the passenger side but when i lifted the hood it was coming from the bottom passenger side, none that i can see out of the exhaust. i checked the oil its where it was 2 weeks ago when i bought it cause the lady had just gotten it changed. she said that the car had been sideswiped in a parkinglot, and it was just smoged in june this year, the check engine light is on but she said that when she got it smoged they said it was the o2 sensor and all they did was reset it to fix it but it just keeps coming back on, as for the pop the steering is just fine and it goes in a straight line for a while if you don't touch the steering so i think its aligned. i just don't want to go to a repair shop and they try to con me because ima girl :l i wanna have atleast an idea of whats wrong be4 i go lol my sister went to pepboys and they tried to replace her timimg belt for her jeep laraedo, they have timing chains which don't need replacing lol XD so she was able to not get tricked

Do you own a 4cyl or a v6?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by galantnewbe View Post
    yes the steering wheel also vibrates
    this might be because a motor mount is bad

as for the smoke i went outside to go see if i could replicate the problem in my drive way by revving the engine as if i were driving and no smoke came out anywhere, so maybe it has to be moving for it to do it? but it usually comes from like the bottom towards the back cause when i first noticed it it was coming out of the side of the fender and slighty at the top of the hood on the passenger side but when i lifted the hood it was coming from the bottom passenger side, none that i can see out of the exhaust
    check your coolant level. you might lave a loose/cracked hose in your system. when you open your hood in the front you should see the radiator cap. open it (only when cold) and if you see coolant, your good! if its dry then you might have a problem. also from around the cap there should be a hose that leads to a plastic container on the left. there should be coolant in there. if its empty, fill it up with coolant as well as in the radiator. keep an eye on it every few days to see if its leaking or not.

the check engine light is on but she said that when she got it smoged they said it was the o2 sensor and all they did was reset it to fix it but it just keeps coming back on
    resetting it doesnt fix the problem, try and find out what code it is to better help you out

i ma girl

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

its a v6 and the radiator cap has a little green fluid in it so its not dry the coolant container is like 2 inches from being full ill just say its more full than low lol XD

o and a random question, is the sunroof supposed to slide back? cause mine just tilts but there's a button with arrows going back and forward as if it were to slide open? sorry for huge pic

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    its a v6 and the radiator cap has a little green fluid in it so its not dry the coolant container is like 2 inches from being full ill just say its more full than low lol XD
    thats good! doesn't seem like your leaking any coolant

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

check ur stabilizer links to see if any broke, that could have caused the popping sound u heard when turning

also u just have to push the button in the direction of the arrow to slide the sunroof back

ok ill check that, and i did push it in the back direction (without puching the tilt button) it just kinda twitches but doesn't go back it just tilts when i push it

yea it should slide all the way back.
    you might need a new motor.

ok lol is that an expensive fix?

u should be able to do it urself, just source a motor from the jy,