The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4cyl exhaust question

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

4cyl exhaust question

My daily has a nice exhaust leak near the flex pipe and I ordered the bolt kit for the header install anyway.

The question is---
    I have megan headers, catback exhaust, but no downpipe. Can I use the gst eclipse downpipe and just weld a high flow cat in the system? Not a question of functionality, but more will it fit.

I don't know much about the 4cyl setup so I was unsure why I couldn't find a header and downpipe set somewhere.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Obx sells the full header and down pipe. For your question im not sure for my header i ended up going with a custom pipe since i had a kamikaze header.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

ahh okay.. I was wondering how all the 4cyl guys did it. I remember you having a custom pipe so that's why I asked. Maybe I'll keep my megan boxed and go with OBX, thanks!

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

I had the DC Headers with the cat delete pipe on mine. Made quite the difference. And looked good under the hood too. lol
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

The dc is expensive but better quality and available in ceramic coated, the obx is half the price as the dc and you'll hear mixed opinions about the obx I have the obx and so does Isaurio. Isaurio has them for 2 years now no issues my flex pipe just broke over the weekend due to the fact that I ran something over this past weekend I ordered a new set on monday because in too lazy to weld in a new flex pipe.

^I agree. Let me add i have them with heat wrap.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

I have had my OBX header for almost two years and havent had any problems. I have a high flow cat welded to the cat delete pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    ^I agree. Let me add i have them with heat wrap.
    You should have also added that if your car is going to be exposed to the elements the heat wrap should be treated with silicone spray, it keeps the wrap from retaining water n moisture

Thanks for the info guys. I think the 1st gen GST exhaust will bolt right up to the megan headers. I'll just need to cut the megan header flange that is supposed to bolt to our stock cats and replace it with a 2 bolt 2.5in flange. I'm going to try this and get back to ya lol.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Sounds good...
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Hmmm I hate the rusty look of the headers and I wanna replace the stock headers on my daily but that is the plan once the other one is Turbo and done. One project at a time. This is good info nonetheless!!!
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R