The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine starts, shuts off after running for about 5 minutes

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Engine starts, shuts off after running for about 5 minutes

My 97 galant just got on the road recently after I changed a bad CKP sensor. I drove it around my block a couple of times, then drove about 11 miles to the shop for inspection, and it shut off at the shop

Anyway I left it there and the mechanic still has no idea what is wrong with it, because it starts up fine and then shuts off after running for about 5 minutes now. We tried replacing the distributor to no avail. Fuel pump has also been recently replaced. The car is pulling no codes either or a CEL. The engine didn't show signs of overheating either when i was driving it, but now it shuts off i guess when the car reaches normal operating temperature.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by FrancisTheGook; 07-11-2012 at 12:38 PM

Just an idea? But check your temp sensor? Not sure if that would be a problem but that's one thing I would check. Maybe like a fuel pump relay? Restricted fuel line? Bad connection on a motor ground? I am just throwing out some ideas.

Anyone else? Mechanic still has no clue what it is.

Any luck figuring out the problem because my 95 has the same problem and it has me stumped

Here's a video if it helps.

Replaced the coolant temp sensor, same thing happened. Also, I checked for spark quickly after the engine shuts off, and the spark is yellow and weak.
    Last edited by FrancisTheGook; 11-05-2012 at 10:59 PM

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

This is one of those situations where a good option is too cut your losses and take it too a dealership, or a competent mechanic. I would just be guessing on any causes without hooking up a scan tool and watching sensor input data until the shut off event.

It certainly appears that it is caused by either an IAC issue or a fuelling issue.

Will the car continue to run if you ease on the throttle?

Can you get a fuel pressure gauge on and watch what happens to the fuel pressure as this happens?

That is how I would go about finding the cause of the problem before throwing any more parts at it.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

so, you replaced the distributor right?

When the engine revs up like this and dies, usually means it has run out of fuel. It revs up because it gets less fuel which leans out the mixture which means more air parts than fuel which equals to higher rpms.

97s are famous for their bad MPI relay (fuel pump relay). Unlike 94-95, 96-98 have two MPI relays - one for the fuel injection (sensors) and one for the fuel pump. They are located on the left side of the radio, between the plastic and the metal structure that holds the radio.

This might help:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...-module-bypass
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread